SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigyellow_gw

Transfer switch trips one circuit whenever I get power back

bigyellow
11 years ago

Last year I installed this 10 circuit transfer switch and I power it with my Ridgid 6800 Watt generator. I live in Westchester county in New York and between Hurricane Sandy and this early November snow fall (that has us once again without power), my generator is getting a nice little workout!

Now, for my problem. And as I'm typing this, it just happened! I got my power back (again!) as i'm typing this. Sure enough, one of my breakers tripped when I got my power back. This is a square D breaker with the test button on it. I was told that for code requirements, bedrooms now need them. I'm not sure why or what they do, but here we are. So here's what I notice:

1. When my transfer switch is set to "gen", my generator is on and I have no power, everything is fine.

2. When my transfer switch is set to "line" and my generator isn't on and hooked up and I *do* have powe, everything is fine.

3. When my transfer switch is set to "gen" , my generator is on and all of a sudden, the power comes back, my breaker trips

4. Once scenario #3 happens, if I put my transfer switch for that line to "line", reset my breaker and put the transfer switch for that line to "gen", my breaker trips.

So again, when I have power and my transfer switch is set to "line", everything is good. When I don't have power and my transfer switch is set to "gen", everything is good. When I don't have power and my transfer switch is set to "gen" and I get the power back, that one breaker trips. Any idea why this could be?

Comments (21)