SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

BR color help please...

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

From the get-go, I've struggled with the paint color in my bedroom. What I ended up with is OK, but not the atmosphere I'm looking for. What I wanted was that cozy cohesive look that says "ahhhh" as soon as you walk in the space. We got it in Mom's bedroom at her condo with the palest of golden yellow walls and a monochromatic scheme. I saw it again in Palimpsest's pic of father's bedroom.

{{gwi:1542534}}

I'm hoping you can suggest paint colors that will help me get that "ahhh" atmosphere. I started with the fabrics for the window treatments, which I like (and don't want to have to make again any time soon). I'm delighted with the accent wall, the bedding which I got so lucky with in that it has exactly the same colors as the window fabrics. I went with a little bling which I added with glass in the fringe and the light fixtures.

Current colors are the ceiling and walls are in BM Bone flat. Trim in BM Bone semi-gloss and accent wall in BM Colorado Gray.

The side panels are actually the wrong side of the fabric so more gold shows. I also have more fabric of each to use in the room...maybe a scarf for the dresser...more pillows on the chair or the bed....

So question #1 is, should I repaint the bone walls? If so, should I continue the Colorado Gray? Try to match that greenish gold in the fabrics? And if so, do I need to paint the 2 alcoves, or leave them the bone? (I hate to paint the window alcove as hanging that treatment was a total PITA.)

Question #2, should I paint the furniture? If so, in the bone? The furniture is what we bought when we were first married back in the late 70s, and it looks it. The finish is not in great shape, so painting it might be a possibility...a good winter project. I also still have mother's headboard which I could swap out if it would help the look. (Off white with soft gold and white upholstery). I'd like to get a new bedside table on the right side as I have the mate for this one in the guest room, and would like it to go there. But so far tag sales haven't yielded success. The left side table is just utilitarian but serves the function well....certainly it can be painted as well. The vanity in the alcove was mine when I was a child...formica topped white french provincial. I faux finished it with a marble top and walnut bottom. I was originally going to get a chaise for the window alcove, but I had this chair and I find I really like the swivel for when I want to look out the window or have the sun on my back...but I think I might get an ottoman for it...

Of course, I'd love to hear any other suggestions about the room....

TIA!

Comments (45)