SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Master BR -Big Challenge- Pls Help !- Lots Pics

bluestarrgallery
16 years ago

I am realizing more and more why professional decorators need to be paid well - but that is another thread.

This is the next project for my budget decorating - and it is definitely a real challenge, due to the layout of the room. Room is 14'6" x 14'. The 14'6" is from slider to hallway door. (this time I got the measurements correct). Please excuse the dust, dirty window and incomplete trim - still working on a few things.

Carpets were just installed, kind of a taupe color. I had curtains which I could use, which are striped and have beige and a touch of gold. But I could switch these with the ones in the guest room which are blue silk - on second thought - that might be better.

As you can see the room is a real challenge, because of all the doorways in the room. From left to right looking from the bed: the slider (6 ft) exits to screen room on left, next is closet door on left, bathroom door in the middle and exit door to hall on right.

What in the world can be done with this room with all the doors and doorways?

TV stand is a nightstand, but works because cable box can go below. DH wants a TV in bedroom because he watches it just before he goes to sleep, so it has to stay. I have been looking for something taller but haven't found it yet - as it has to be narrow and it can't have doors since they'd be in the way. Unfortunately there is no plug between the closet door and bathroom door - so TV can't go there. In order to open the bedroom entrance door - the cabinet for the TV has to be narrow. And the TV won't fit over by the slider. I tried moving bed on angle, but we have a cal king bed and it is too large to do that - and DH is very tall (and three cats) so we need a big bed.

We don't need any dressers because we can fit all our clothing in the closet - so we could have an accent chair and one nightstand - I don't need a nightstand, but DH does.

You may recall I have a portion of a headboard I am turning into a headboard, but that isn't completed yet. I can paint or stain it whatever color I want.

Our master bathroom is chocolate brown with aqua accents. Not sure if one should utilize the same accents in a master bedroom as the master bathroom?

I just got bed covering at BBB and now that I see them on the bed - they sooooo don't go - I need something that isn't shiny - they didn't look that shiny in the bag - I didn't even put the bedskirt on (and I can't believe I even picked this out - photos can be deceiving - one of the reasons I am many times hesitant to order off the internet) - roselvr was correct.

My thoughts were go monochromatic or to use gold and black accent colors and some expresso wood tones (as in the TV/nightstand). But if I switch curtains, the color scheme can be different.

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

{{gwi:1839403}}

{{gwi:1839404}}

{{gwi:1839405}}

{{gwi:1839406}}

{{gwi:1839407}}

{{gwi:1839408}}

Comments (38)

• igloochic
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a nice space to work with :) I love the sun porch off the side of the bedroom.

For the TV...we have the same issue, and here's the fix :) Get that thing off the floor (or table) and get a wall mount for it (they sell them at home despot and lowes for tv's that size and they even have a spot for the cable boxes). Raise it up high (which is nice for viewing) and tack the wires to the wall, THEN PAINT THEM! (you can get a cover for the wires as well, but paint it if you do). That will solve that big box issue you have with the TV and take it a bit out of the decorating scheme. (Total cost is maybe $150)

For my taste, the room is too monocromatic (and yes, the curtains don't go with the bedspread...you're right...internet shopping sometimes is great, and sometimes stinks!). I'd like to see the blue in the room. Can you grab a curtain and lay it on the bed so we can see how the two fabrics go with each other?

If the blue does work, I'd like to see you incorporate a bit of that into the bedding as well. Some accent pillows in the blue would be nice.

I don't know what you're doing with the headboard. I personally would like to see tall and black or espresso back behind that bedding, but for those of us who don't know...please share again what you're doing?

I'd also not go without some sort of bedside table on both sides. You don't have to have a huge one. I am going to use an iron urn on one side of our bed with a round marble top on it. (Guest room) So there's room for a lamp and perhaps a glass of tea and a small book. On the other side, I'll probably use the antique sewing machine (Iron on the bottom). How about trying something similar? The reason I'm going with the iron urn is that it can be painted black and topped with anything (glass works fine) and it's small so in your case it won't interfear with the traffic flow but will provide some weight and contrast to the big big bed of tan :o) Then give DH some more room on his but try to do something "light" on the bottom (meaning perhaps an iron base) but top heavy for balance, or just go with a nice wood piece, but make the two different in style, yet the same in weight. (An urn reads very large in scale, because of the expanse of metal, yet is really not a large piece).

I like the black on the rods for the curtain. How about echoing that on the fan blades? (An easy diy paint job). You'll balance the room out better.

And how about a mirror or some art? The walls are too bare. And, I see a lovely plant on the porch...what if you put it in a black pot and stuck it in the corner by the door (I see a plug there...right by the entry door to the sun porch) How about an uplight behind the plant for a soft accent? Again use black. It's a great "neutral" to the blue/tan scheme you want to acheive.

IS that enough work for now? Heh heh

Really it's a very nice space. I'd love to wake up in the morning and have a cup of coffee there on the sun porch. Mind you, in winter our porch would be -20 degrees outside...but still if the coffee is hot enough....

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

igloochick, thanks for all your ideas - I read them quickly as I am running out to return the bedspread for something similar in color but not shiny.

I purposely don't have art on the walls as I just finished the touchup painting and will hang some once I decide about the color palette and bedspread.

Here are the curtains. I have definitely decided to switch the curtains and use the blue in the masterbedroom.

{{gwi:1839292}}

I am turning footboard below into a headboard, trash to treasure technique - another poster here had turned a solid door into a headboard by adding two by fours to the edge and painting it black.
    {{gwi:1839409}}

Here is a tree print I might put in the room, the blue tape is where I need to catch the hangers.
    {{gwi:1839410}}

Also I hung this print in the other room but could use it above the headboard in master.
    {{gwi:1839294}}

Oh my - I just had an inspiration. Did you see my linving room post and the canvases I painted for the living room? I might be able to use them in the master bedroom and do different ones for the living room (their scale is a bit small for the living room because there is such a big expanse of walls space there )....... that is one of the reasons I am sticking to similar color palettes so I can switch things around if I need to. Here are the canvases:
    {{gwi:1839413}}
    {{gwi:1839415}}

• Related Discussions

White Cabs, Espresso Island, Bianco Antico - Lots of Pics!

Q

Comments (24)
    Wow what a beautiful kitchen! I love the granite, the hood, and the windows flanking the stovetop. Can you explain how you got such a great deal on the hood? I'm so glad I stumbled across this post because I'm looking to use the exact same Aspen light from Circa Lighting for our master bedroom! We're going for a craftsman feel and the iron finish would work well with the iron handles on our dresser. My only concern is that there is no diffuser on the bottom which might might be too bright when we're laying in bed. The light isn't over the bed but centered off the end of the of the bed a few feet away. What is the wattage of the lights you have in there for those pictures? Do you think that fixture would work well in a bedroom?
    ...See More

Master BR coordinating bedding & curtain help

Q

Comments (3)
    thank guys! chrissay - yep room and window have the same thing going on. That's probably how we'll end up doing the bed. I am worried about my lovely kitties messing with the window though. sky.. you may have fixed my bathroom shower curtain problem! i think the valance and there's a sheer type underthing (same pattern) i think it's all attached. i'll have to check it out. those dupioni silk drapes appear to be pretty heavy. this is good. seem a bit pricey but i'm discovering all curtains are! glad i don't have tons of windows in my house! :)
    ...See More

PICS! Help me paint Master Bedroom! Green??

Q

Comments (8)
    I love greens, but with the red so hot in the bedding, I am not sure I would want green. The bedding is very pretty, by the way! I know this is going to seem bizarre, but have you considered an aqua, as we seem to see in the center of the pointy leaves in the closeup of the bedding? I think it might cool down the room, and would certainly show off the dark furniture as well. I think it would work with the Whole Wheat, tho I am kind of puzzled about the issue of working with it. At different times of the day, from different angles, in different light, those colors will never look the same, and at times will perhaps seem more suited than at others. But no one that I can think of would stand in the hallway and expect the bedroom to flow with a public space. That is part of the delight of bedrooms and baths - places to choose color and decor different from the public spaces, that are more personal and perhaps a little more daring. I think your bed looks pretty, but I would try to find a place to store your sleeping pillows during the day when the bed is made - they don't go with the look of the finished bed, and kind of spoil the view from the side. Maybe you can tuck them on the floor of the closet? Also wondering if the valances on the windows are on a separate rod, so that you could raise the valances up higher to open the window space and take the eye up above the top of the bedposts.
    ...See More

Need help with colors for redecorating master BR

Q

Comments (16)
    Wow, what a difference a colorful rug makes. I was wanting to add teal with the melon color for accent and the rug does it. Can I get a rug like that at houzz? Also like the wall color. Is it a mid-tone tan? What you've suggested here plus the smocked curtains Lurkkiirish suggested would work.
    ...See More
  • josette_sc
    16 years ago

Oh, that footboard would make a good headboard. The black nightstand would look next to the bed. Love the black framed picture of the tree. I think a gold and green colored bedding with green curtains would look good in that room.

I think the pictures above the bed should continue with using pictures with black frames, keeping the pictures with the same color tones as the tree picture (in black frame). You could use two good sized pictures (the same size) side by side over the bed.

Someone mentioned black curtain rods - well in target they have brown/bronze ones with leather looking round ends on them - weren't expensive - they look good with the green curtains.

I would save your other pictures you had painted for another room.

Great idea about the TV arm that is mounted on the wall.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

josette_sc, thank you for your ideas. There is a guy in the next town over who does woodworking and he is 94 years old. He has been doing woodworking his whole life and is an institution. Not many people can do what he does anymore, since just about everything is pressboard and we must put it together. He can make anything into anything and has a huge supply of wood parts and spindles, etc. I was going to take the footboard to him to see what he can do with it.

I am not sure I want a contraption holding the TV up on the wall above everything else. It reminds me of motorhome holders for TVs (nothing against motorhomes, cause we have one) - but where it is - is not optimum either.

I managed to get another grouping for the bed - but I am still disappointed. I am thinking creamy beige rather than shimery. This one was $60 at Ross and the other was $160 at BBB, quite a savings, but not - if I don't like it.

Here is the new comforter - another one which didn't look that shiny in the bag - but does in person. You wouldn't believe how much trouble I had getting DH out of bed so I could take the photo - he said - just leave me in the bed and take the photo. You all would have had a good laugh over that one.

I showed DH the tree print and thank goodness he likes it too.

I couldn't find Penny's in the next town over today - I have so much on my mind I had a blank about it - I know I have seen it, but have never shopped there, but I think they have some good bedding sets - will check them out after the weekend.

{{gwi:1839417}}

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I like the prints you posted. I think in the one post I mentioned touch of class.com, they had the same colors in bedding.

I still like the one (or should I say two) from Penneys the best. IIRC you have it on your photo site, maybe link a picture? I also still like my original suggestion with the chameleon curtains from Penneys, I think it would give a nice touch to the room. Then again, it's similar to what I chose for mine anyway :)

I'll send ya an email.

• Kathryn Dunbar
    16 years ago

I think that the bed being all one color isn't helping. I think either comforter would be 'ok' if the pillow covers weren't the same color as the bedspread. I know that when they come as a set they come all one color, but maybe you could just not use the ones that come in the set, and buy matching (but different color) shams?

• Kathryn Dunbar
    16 years ago

Oh, and I wanted to add, when you go to somewhere like Ross's, you can get them to take the tag-y thing off the zipper so you can open it up in the store. That way you can tell the material (and how shiny it is) before you leave. We do it often, since returning bedspreads became a pain :D

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kathyryn77, you make a good point about everything being one color. I can definitely get sham covers in a different color somewhere else. I wish I had asked to have the comforter opened up at the store. Now I am going on my second return, so it really is getting to be a pain. Thanks for your advice.

roselvr, I know I liked the one from Penny's and am willing to get the one with the buttons now - since I can't find anything else I like. Looked through the internet and catalog and can't find it - DH shredded all the paper work in cleaning up our house for a huge party we had this Saturday. I am going to Penny's tomorrow to get their little catalogs to see if I can find it again - I can't remember if that one came in Cal King. Many of the comforter sets don't come in Cal King and that makes a difference on how it fits on the bed Hopefully one I like will come in that size.

If I can't find a beige and tan one I may go with the one below I saw at Penny's.com. It is so hard picking colors from an internet picture though - I am afraid when I receive it - it won't be the color I think it is from the internet. Blue and aqua look really good with the color of the carpet and my woodworking though - if not green looks good too - it makes a nice contrast agains the reddish tone of the woodwork.

I can't believe I looked through every set on Target and Penny's website and couldn't find one I liked - am I that picky? I don't think so, I just want one more tailored and most are flowery or frilly or shiny.

{{gwi:1839419}}

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I actually left all of the catalog numbers in one of your posts. It did come in Cal King. If you need coupon codes email me. With GW not allowing us to track posts when they are updated, I won't know you posted unless I check, this isn't a forum I usually come to.

I do like the blue you posted, I think it would also look great in your room.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, here is the latest comforter. And I think I like it and it will go with the curtains in the other room, which I can move. I also like the combination of blue and brown together quite a lot. I didn't put the bedskirt on yet and the pillows can be rearranged. Once I install my headboard I can put the blue shams in the back and brown in front if need be.

I am hoping to find one of those fabric steamers to steam out the wrinkles from the comforter and my curtains in the various rooms. Anyone know of a good place to find one? Wally world didn't have one. Forgot to look at Target.

For the furniture color, do think I could have black or should I go chocolate brown?

I saw a small ladies desk at the consignment shop yesterday which I thought I could use on one side and perhaps a small bureau on DH's side (he tends to get a lot of stuff out of his pockets and he could put it all in the top drawer). The ladies writing desk was painted black, but I surely could paint over it to chocolate brown.

I know I said I didn't want shiny, but this shiny is ok. I like the contemporary style print. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for advice.

{{gwi:1839421}}

• les917
    16 years ago

I like this last comforter, and it does seem to match the drapery from the other room.

As for the steamers, I have never had luck with the small ones in the stores. I would bite the bullet and take the drapery to the cleaners and have them steamed or pressed. Also, check to be sure they can be steamed - some fabrics and finishes can't be, and if the drapery is silk and you get 'water spits' on it from the steamer, they will leave marks. If the bedspread is washable, I would throw that in the dryer with a damp towel or two (light colored) and see if that doesn't take out the wrinkles for you.

I would leave the little secretary desk black if you are painting the headboard black.

I would leave your painted canvases in the LR. I think they would end up feeling to 'matchy-matchy' with this bedding.

Are you sure that the TV won't fit angled in the corner by the slider? It would be much better than right by the door as you walk in. Or, could you slide the bed over to the right a bit, and put the tv on the wall to the right of the doorway?

A bench at the end of the bed might be nice, rather than trying to get a chair in the room. Covered in a print with blue and chocolate brown, perhaps.

Swing-arm lamps (the plug-in kind) would be great by the bed. Something like this would compliment the headboard I think, but still feel contemporary.

swing-arm lamp

You could always add a stripe each of brown and blue ribbon around the shade to coordinate with the decor.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your quick response les917, now that I have this comforter, I agree the living room prints won't go. And thanks for the link to the swing arm lamps - you always have such great links. DH would really appreciate the lamps. He previously had a torchiere type lamp with the side light - as he likes to read - and he is missing that now. But I explained to him we are in transition and he will soon have some type of lamp back. If I get the secretaries desk, though not sure how the swing arm would look on that side. I saw with the post on headboards trash to treasure, where someone had mounted the lamps on their headboard I think - and I liked that look and that way the walls don't have to be affected.

The previous owner used to have the TV on one of those overhead stands coming out of the wall by the slider. I really don't like the look of those. I wish I could find a small case to hide it in - but it would have to be just the right size to fit so the door could open.

The bed can move over either direction as there is room, but I am wondering if I place the TV on the entrance wall, if someone coming in or leaving the room (DH) might knock it over?). He gets up very early in the morning to go to work and - I don't know - bull in a china closet syndrome might happen. The TV will fit by the slider - but the closet door opens that direction. I thought about having pocket doors installed when we were remodeling - but that would have meant tearing into the walls and I didn't want that added expense. If I had designed the home I think I would have done that. The biggest wall space is where the TV is now - a hidden TV would look much better.

Are you saying the black furniture would look ok with the brown in the comforter? I will stain or paint all the furniture to match either way I go - but since I am doing the work - I can choose either one.

If I get the secretary desk - I think a chair over there would be better for its use. I am not sure about the bench at the end of the bed since that's the traffic flow directly to the slider and looking at it from my eye - it would fill up too much of the open space in the room. Here is a shot of that angle so you can see (taken from the doorway entering the room).

Thanks again - I'd like to go out today and get the secretary or some such for that side of the bed and decide on what to do for DH side - I am anxious to get all this done.

Oh, and thanks so much for the hint about the steam thing - the curtains are silk for the living room and the ones I am moving from the guest room - and I might have ruined them. I just looked at the label on the comforter and it says DO NOT IRON - I will try your towel technique in the dryer. Thanks - you saved me two faux paux's.

{{gwi:1839423}}

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Linda, I do like the blue but am not sure due to the shine. I saw a comforter similar to the one you bought but can't remember where. I think either comforter is fine, this one or the button one from Penney's. Can you post a pic of it for Les to see?

Did you see my post about your guest room? I was asking if you can get another wicker trunk then move them into this room for the TV. You might be able to make two night stands from wicker trunks. Our Ross had a few pieces last time I looked which was about 3 months ago.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I switched the curtains (see below)- I am not sure the blue curtains go with the comforter - the comforter is more aqua and the curtains are more silvery blue (the curtains were originally purchased for the living room, but they were too short because the room is sunken which I neglected to take into consideration). I might have to get chocolate brown curtains with a brushed tone to them - like the shams at the back of the bed ae. I wish I could lengthen the curtains enough and put them in the living room, but the hem isn't long enough and that is too much work - because I think the curtains from the living room would go in the master. But then again, maybe not. They are kind of a coppery, taupy brown silk.

This is getting so convoluted and complicated and tiresome. Oh well, I shouldn't give up hope, hopefully I am almost there now - with all the rooms. It is just so time consuming and I still have trim painting and the front door to paint.

roselvr, the comforter looks more shiny in the photo than in person at least for this one. I did see the post about the guest room, but I have taken the wicker chair back because it was really wide and I want the rooms to look bigger and it filled up too much space. I think I would like to stick with darker wood in the master rather than wicker. I had the wicker in the master before holding the TV, but it is too big and we couldn't open the door all the way - so that made it seem like the room was small too that's why I removed it. For the TV we need something that just fits the TV and that is hard to find. The wicker trunk in the guest room is oblong and it would take up too much wall space turned the other way in the master - again want it to look larger - I may just have to store that wicker trunk and get something else for the guest room and master too. The table the TV is sitting on now is an bedside table - so it could be moved to there if I find something else for the TV - that was my original thought anyway. Does the one from Penny's have a copper stripe? If so that copper will clash with the reddish tone of the doors - if it doesn't - then I cant find the one with the buttons - I searched and looked back through all the posts and the one with the copper was the only one that came up with the codes.

{{gwi:1839425}}

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Linda, I found the link to the other comforter. It does have copper but it's a bonus cover, so you wouldn't have to use it. I'll leave the link to the other post in case you need some of the catalog numbers.

I know how hard it is to find a decent TV stand / enclosure. I've been looking for a bedroom set for a few years, still haven't found one. I haven't seen much furniture that I even like.

I'm not nuts about the curtains, what do you think of going with the cream in the comforter, then finding something chocolate along with it? I think Linens & Things or Bed, Bath Beyond had the chocolate, I know Penneys didn't

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney Comforter

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr, thanks for the info about the comforter again, I misunderstood about the copper striped coverlet thrown in for free - now I see the neutral comforter is underneath. DH likes the one I have on the bed and it was $89 for the whole set on sale at Target, which is quite a savings.

I think a darker curtain would be better because I think the cream would be washed out by the wall color. For ease of choice I will probably go with chocolate curtains. I'll probably save the ice blue ones for another home -
    lost the receipt and Walmart would not take them back.

I got the ladies desk at a consignment shop today (it is black) for my end table today and a chair I will paint black to match and will take the headboard to have it adapted and I will paint black. Target has TV thingy's but they are so cheap - antique and consignment shops actually have better furniture because they are already put together and they are solid wood - unlike the pressed board you can find at the stores nowadays. The high end stores have nice furniture but I can't see spending that kind of money when I will proably change my decor again soon.

DH said just leave the oak chair as an end table for me, He he.

will post photo of secretary desk tomorrow.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Below is photo of the master bedroom with secretary and chair I just got for my side of the master bed. Closeup of the chair as I found it. I will be painting or staining the chair black and changing the little seat cover to some type of matching material - caning below has a hole in it and someone covered it up with tacked on red leather. Maybe I can find someone to do the caning - not sure? I had the lamp and the aqua tin. What do you think of them?

If you can picture the black headboard placed behind the bed once I get it finished. I am really liking black as a contrast in the room.

What if I get a small bureau (paint it black) to place the TV on? Kind of like the one I posted below. I was thinking of one with short legs and about three drawers and not too wide. Then I could put the nightstand (almost black) on DH side of the bed? I saw a couple bureaus that were't too wide at the consignment shop yesterday that would work. Only thing would be the cable box. But I could build a little box out of plywood (paint it black too) just high enough for the cable box to find in and place it on top of the bureau and place the TV on tob of that.

Art work and accessories will come after I get the rest of the furniture in the room.

{{gwi:1839427}}

{{gwi:1839428}}

{{gwi:1839429}}

• les917
    16 years ago

Love the secretary desk. A charming idea for a bedside table. Not liking the lamp - I think it is too small compared to the height that the bed will be when you add the headboard. I would also try to get a lamp with a little sparkle, rather than black.

I don't care for the chair there. It seems crowded and rather without reason. I would skip the chair, and just put a great potted fern or stack of boxes wrapped in decorative papers under there.

Okay, this may seem bizarre, but I'm going to ask anyway. If you are stuck with the chair, and decide not to use it by the desk, could you stick it in the corner with the TV on it? I am thinking you could cut out the flared piece in the back to give room for some of the depth of the tv, and add a painted board on the lower stretchers for the cable box. I think it might be kind of cute and quirky (okay, maybe more quirky than cute?) Just thought I'd mention it.

I do think the drapes are the wrong blue for the bedspread. I don't think I would do a solid brown, tho. I think it might end up being too heavy with the black furniture. These from Target look like they might match - and then if you wanted to, you could use iron-on tape to add a brown ribbon trim about an inch in all the way around the panels.

classic home panel

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

les, I missed your latest response, reading it now. I think the TV is too big for the chair by the secretary - might be a bit tippy. A larger chair might work.

I will repost about the curtains - I haven't checked out the site yet. Thank you so much for your ideas.

Here are my latest finds for the bedroom:

Bedside table for DH (former commode), I am painting it black now. DH wants me to change the knobs to brushed nickel - I have some left over from the kitchen and bathrooms I could use. He likes that look.

Also bought a black and white photo I have been admiring for months. I think it will go well in the master bedroom somewhere. Got a set of 4 brushed nickel lamps two for the bedside tables and two extra ones - a little one and a floor lamp. Our whole house has brushed nickel finished knobs and light fixtures, and DH really likes these.

Oh, I forgot I have an oak chair that is larger and more sturdy.

Aside: I bought the chair in 1970 for $15 in San Francisco at a garage sale - photo below. Hauled it back to my apartment in the back seat of my VW. When I got home I couldn't get it out of the back seat. I knew I should be able to, because I had gotten it in. Anyway, you see I eventually got it out.

DH is temporarily using it as his nightstand till I get the commode in there. The arms might interfere. I like your idea though, les, definitely different and the unexpected. I just measured the TV, it just might fit. I will try both chairs tomorrow and post a photo. Oh - what do do with the cable contraption - maybe I can put a little shelf on the leg stretcher below.

{{gwi:1839430}}

{{gwi:1839431}}

{{gwi:1839432}}

• freckles-n-frills
    16 years ago

I love the print of the staircase would you happen to know the name of the print or artist?
    Thanks, Freckles

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

freckles-n-frills, it's Linda Butler, a photographer. I didn't even look on the back till you asked. I am so glad did, I learned something. The print was distributed originally by Pier I in Fort Worth, Texas and I bought it at a consignment shop near where I live. The sku # is 01691943 - perhaps you can still get it. I just loved the look of the photo - so romantic and understated.

Low and behold I searched for her name and found her website. There is a book she wrote with the same photograph right on the front cover - amazing. I am looking at her website and I see she has lots of other wonderful art.

Come to think of it I saw an exhibit of her photography at a gallery in San Francisco once. No, now that I remember it was another woman photographer - Eve Arnold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda Butler Photography

• bigideaslittlefunds
    16 years ago

I dont know if this will work for your tv or the space you have but here it is...

Here is a link that might be useful: armoire

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bigideaslittlefunds, your name says it all for me too. The TV is a 21 inch which is about 18 wide. The armoire would be ok, but is too wide for that particular spot. I am looking for a really narrow one, but I like the height. If I can get something about 32 inches wide that would be ideal.

I have found, not sure it it is true or not, when I have a small room if I keep the furniture lower to the ground then the room appears larger. So that is what I am trying to do with my master bedroom. I will just have art work above the plane of the bed and soon to come headboard.

Thanks for the link.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's a former washstand, not a commode - don't know what I was thinking.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I just didn't like the shiny comforters. It seems you really have to hunt high and low to find a comforter that isn't shiny. Here is one that I really like. I did find three I liked today, but this was the one I bought. It is a bit masculine. The blue is a bit shiny but in a muted sort of way. This photo was taken when it is almost dark and only the lamps are lit, not the overhead light.

Not sure if I can add a blue print pillow to give a little femininity?

I was thinking I could cover the lampshades with either a tan or blue. What do you think?

I hope no one suggests I paint the furniture tan - that would be a lot of work covering that black.

I could almost see a blue padded headboard - hopefully I could do something with the one I have and still keep the wood nice inside in case I want to use it for another color/style comforter in the future.

Ideas ? Thoughts ? Thanks.

{{gwi:1839433}}

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

SG, I love this last bedding set the best of all. I think you finally found IT. Looks great with the black night table and chest.

You talked about upholstering the footboard to use as a headboard and also mentioned adding a blue printed to give a bit more of a feminine feel. How about you paint the "headboard" black, adding blue upholstered panels to cover the raised panels? Unless you can find a large contemporary print fabric in the right colors, I'd add a long solid blue neck roll pillow. Move your shams down on the bed instead of on top of the pillows and lay the neck roll in front of them.

I have to add that your best accessories are your two adorable furry ones. Who says real fur is out!?

• noodlesportland
    16 years ago

I don't find that too masculine at all-realy like it. You can soften it by whatever you put above the bed and I see a pretty pot with a green plant on one nightstand...

• kat123
    16 years ago

I love your beautiful cat! He/she looks exactly like my wonderful cat that I had for 19 years. It brought tears to my eyes when I saw her. The perfect touch for a pretty bedroom.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

justgotabme, what a great idea for the neck pillow - I will have to check to see where I can get one - oh when you said neck pillow I was thinking of one of those long thin body pillows. I am really liking this comforter so much better than the shiny polyester looking and feeling ones. I wish it didn't appear so dark though. Perhaps when I see it in the morning. I did purchase the coordinating accent pillow but left it in the car when I got home. I piled the shams up high to kind of simulate the headboard that isn't there yet. Blue upholstered panels, I see what you are saying. I had to scroll back up to look at my footboard photo - I see there is a perfect spot to put them - very good idea. I'll have to take the accent pillow with me to a fabric store to try and coordinate with the blue color. Thanks for your advice.

I'm feeling a lot better now. I had packed up that other comforter but hadn't taken it back, but I knew if I packed it up it was going. These stores are probably sick of me returning stuff.

noodlesportland, thanks, I would like to put a real plant in the room, but the kitty you see lying on the bed tears up every plant I bring home. Yesterday I picked some peppers from the garden and she knocked one off the table and was playing with it. I couldn't find it anywhere. Tonight I went to fill up the dry cat food feeder and there it was in the food tray. Thanks for your help.

Now I am wondering about curtains. I will take another photo in the morning with the silk curtains, but I think the material is wrong for this comforter and the color is probably too light of a blue.

Here's a shot of the colors up closer.

{{gwi:1839434}}

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, kat123, I am so sorry about your kitty. I have lost two sets of cats and two dogs and I know it isn't easy. They all have such wonderful personalities, bring us such pleasure, and ask for so little in return.

The cat on the latest comforter is Betty (Boop), she is about 7 years old now and still gets into everything. She can actually open the cabinet doors in the kitchen and bathrooms by putting her paws on the top of the cabinet and leaning backwards and out, then when the door opens she jumps down and sneaks in before the door closes. If I call her name Beetttyyy ? - she comes trotting down the hallway with a real innocent air about her.

• lisalm
    16 years ago

I really like that last comforter! It reminds me of one that Crate and Barrel used to sell (last winter) that looked almost tweed-like.

I was searching for an old post--someone used this in a bedroom. It was a poster who was helping her daughter put together a mid-century modern condo. She used this color scheme, and everything turned out just beautifully. Unfortunately, I think the post is too old, and I can't locate it.

But I think you're on the right track with this comforter/duvet cover. Don't be afraid of the colors! They aren't too dark but are very rich and pretty.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lisalm, this comforter has that same material - kind of like a man's suit material in it - that is what attracted me to it - it's different than most - even though from a distance it looks like just a patchwork quilt - it really isn't - it's more modern.

This is something I wouldn't have previously chosen, I am kind of new to contemporary decorating with this home - so I am feeling my way along. That mid-century modern condo sounds interesting. I looked on rate your space last night at lots of bedrooms to see what others had done - I have a whole new direction to go with this bedding - but I am liking it. Thanks for your encouragment.

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

SG, you could make your own long neck roll pillow with a body pillow by wrapping one in a tube of fabric. I'd make one with a roll of batting though. It would be alot easier. You could wrap the roll in plastic to make it slide in the tube easier, then pull out the plastic so you wouldn't get a crunchy sound if you lay on it.

JCPenney carries what they call a bolster pillow that's nine by thirty six inches long tube that would work for what I mentioned earlier. I was thinking a bit longer, but this would work too.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP 9x36 inch bolster pillow

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

justgotabme, thanks for the link. I want to get two bolster pillows for my daybed in the guest room to make it look more like a sofa when it isn't in use. So I will probably order a couple from Penny's at their price which is reasonable. I was just in Target yesterday and they had a bolster that was $36. Of course it had a nice zippered quilted cover that was washable, but Penny's is much more reasonable.

I was thinking you meant a longer one than the bolster for the master bed. What a great hint about slipping the foam in with the plastic, thanks so much. It has been a while since I have sewn anything, but finding just the right color might be hard so I will probably have to dig my sewing machine out of the closet.

I finally took the headboard to the woodworker yesterday (DH just doesn't have the time), but have to get some measurements to her (she has taken over the woodworking business from her father who is 94 and finally retired)next week so it can attach it to the bed frame at the right spot. Can't wait to get it back and see how I can get the blue panels attached.

A while back I saw some body pillows at Walmart - I don't think they were that long though? Can't remember. They were in some wild colors, but I could just cover one of those too and put a little folded portion in the back where the cover could be removed and washed. Hopefully I can get some material that is washable in the right color for the pillows, headboard and dare I say curtains - that would take a whole lot of yardage - might have to go with store bought curtains if I can find some that kind of come close in color.

Thanks again.

• ILoveRed
    16 years ago

"If I can't find a beige and tan one I may go with the one below I saw at Penny's.com. It is so hard picking colors from an internet picture though - I am afraid when I receive it - it won't be the color I think it is from the internet."

I agree Spring. Another reason to buy in person--I purchased my bedding from ebay. I got a great deal on really expensive bedding. It is beautiful, but I hate the stuff. It is so stiff and uncomfortable that I can't stand it. DH asked me why I have it sitting in the corner and our crappy old quilt back on our bed. I don't quite know what to say to him.

Buy something in person if you can.

I agree that you have great bones to work with and I love that tree print!

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got a body pillow at Wally World today for $8.88. (I could have sworn the tag below said they were $14 or something. I think the register made a mistake. I may have to go back and get two more for bolsters for the daybed and stuff them into a casing. They come in beige, blue, brown, green, and maybe gold. It pays to shop.

I tried to find material to match the blue in my comforter, but didn't find that yet. Will keep looking. I did find a chenille throw in a similar color - which in
    a pinch I could use to cover the body pillow.

red lover, I know what you mean about trying the stuff out and being able to see it in person. I have a new policy where I have an envelope in my purse which contains all the receipts for the last month or so from shopping for decorator items. You wouldn't believe how much stuff I have returned. I also returned a bunch of molding pieces to HD and Lowes I wasn't going to use and I got a ton of money back - molding is very expensive because they sell it by the foot. Some I get credit for because I returned stuff I couldn't find the receipt for, but I knew I would be buying more stuff there anyway and the gift cards they give you if you don't have the receipt, really help out.

red lover, you are so right about getting stuff in person. There are so many diffeent colors out there - greens can be shade off and they still match, but it seems like the blues can really clash.

Thanks for your advice. I don't know what to tell you about the comforter you have - unless you can go to a discount fabric place and cover it with something you like? Some stuff is not very well made these days. But even if you can sew, any fabric purchased is more money than you can buy things already made for - so it's a catch 22.

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

SG, you are very welcome. I actually did mean a neck roll type pillow almost as long as the width of your bed. I know I've seen one somewhere. Maybe in my dreams? I have had lots of crazy dreams lately.

I think a body pillow will look great too. And our Wal Mart has theirs for $8.88 all the time. Maybe they also carry a more expensive one and the one you chose was the lower priced one? Maybe?..... Who knows, but that's a great price, isn't it!?

If you can get a teeny piece cut from inside your shams of the blue fabric to take with you shopping that would be a great help. Make sure to check WMs dollar, two dollar and upholstery (I think $3,77) fabrics for matches. I've gotten some great fabrics for a dollar a yard there. Get friendly with one of the clerks and ask them to let you know when an order has gone out for the dollar fabric so you can keep a closer eye on what comes in. Some stores have better selections than others. So if you have more than one WM in your area, be sure to check them all.

There's always sheets and table clothes that can be used as fabric too. I've made great WTs out of table linens before.
    Good Luck!

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nothing like squirrel, chicory or others, but... I quickly painted my bedroom photo, added a headboard and some squares to simulate art. I was thinking of that paint technique that looks like suede? the color is off, but what do you think?

justgotabme, thanks for all the hints. I have a 12 inch pillow which I purchased with the comforter I have been carrying around with me. I didn't make it to the fabric store just to wally world. the other wally world is a zoo. There is Joann's and Beverly's I will check into next week to see.

I did see a table cloth at Target I almost got as a throw over my beige comforter on my daybed in my guest room. It looked like some of that material from Indian, kind of gauzy, but not quite. If the one I have doesn't work out I may go back and get it for that room.

{{gwi:1839435}}

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm