SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spencer_electrician

Usual for electricians, to NOT use multi-wire circuits

I'm taking a college class on generators, motors, and transformers. The teacher is a master electrician and has licenses all through kansas, missouri, and even oklahoma. Interesting thing came up with him and the other electricians in the class while talking about harmonic currents. He said something about MC cable with oversized neutral conductors and I said "for using with multi-wire circuits?" He said no... who the hell uses multi-wire circuits. The other electricians all started off, "I got zapped and will never touch one again"... "You sure never see them in the commercial world" "You'd have to be a pretty dirty electrician to do that" And finally "Thank god 08 code is banning all multiwire branch circuits". He said the standard practice in commercial installations is to pull a neutral with every circuit.

For them to say they are not used in commercial work is a joke to me. I would think that a company not knowing how to use multi-wire circuits in pipe runs does not know how to design an efficent system. However I do know exceptions; Circuits supplying computers, electronic ballasts, and other devices with heavy harmonic currects. In that case it would be smart to pull seperate neutrals or oversize the neutral. I just can't see why so many people believe there is no place for a multi-wire circuit. Is that true that 08' is getting rid of them entirely?

Comments (18)