SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
work_in_progress_08_gw

Change of Scenery, Magnaverde & Perspective

Just coming off of a visit with family out west. A breathtakingly awesome part of the country.

One of the things I noticed most was that BIL/SIL remain true to being down to earth and practiced Magnaverde's rule of decorating for the life you have, not the life you want. Actually, they have the life they want. They just didn't realize they were practicing the former rule of decorating. It was done by rote. Everything in their home has a functional purpose. No extra stuff sitting around for decorative purpose only. This dynamic could also be an old/new money situation?

BIL & SIL have an awesome home on the Snake River, which would be the equivilent of a "gated" community on the East Coast. Their nearest neighbor is August Busch, III of Budweiser fame. They are growing/hunting/fishing their own food, consumption is not what it is here on the East Coast.

The lifestyle definitely is one of adventure, primarily outdoor activity, hard winters, no sitting on the sofa ~ channel surfing. It is all getting out and about, doing things - hiking, skiing, fishing, floating the Snake River on a nice day, etc. Did not see one over-weight person until we went into town (Jackson) for a day. Those who were just visiting really were easily spotted posing under the antler arch for real time internet viewing by friends and family back home. LOL

Point being - all in their community are on the same socio-economic level, just amazed me how differently they handled their decorating. BIL & SIL completely ignore decor over function. It really magnified "the rule" as per Magnaverde.

Other homes in this community were very ornately (completely over-THE-top decorated), to die for artwork, the heads of this animal or that hung everywhere (not animals they've hunted personally), table legs made from the legs of animals, expensive hyde/fur rugs lying just so over beautiful native hardwood flooring, elaborate wine collections (I would definitely like to have the wine collections!) Actually, excepting the wine collections, the rest started to make me feel a bit sick to my stomach because of the feeling of a forced need to impress by using the excessive. I would not have wanted to attend a cocktail party at one of these homes during a brutal winter. There were no areas for drying boots, hanging wet gear, let alone simple hanging out, at least the way we hang. It may be that my idea of a good time differs greatly than theirs? My worst fear, klutz that I am, was that I was going to knock something over which I would have to pay handsomely to replace.

I am pretty much a vegetarian. Except for holiday time when it becomes out of my control, we try to eat as much organic as reasonably possible. That probably contributed greatly to my overall impressions, but the excessive "decorator's touch" was all too apparent to me. However, many of these people do not live in the area year round, just visit a couple of times per year. Thinking that plays a huge part in the decorate to impress as I believe they too have guests when they are in the area and the people they are entertaining are into that type of show of excess.

It was very eye-opening visit. Rainy last day gave me an opportunity to take many inside pics of interior of BIL/SIL's home to present this particular question. I thought of the thread on the conversations side of "you know you have been hanging out on the decorating thread too long if" - or something to that effect.

So, what I am wondering is - can you really say you decorate for the life you have?

Wondering if following the "rule" is just a matter of your own perspective of the life you have?

Thoughts anyone?

Comments (12)