SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

Homebuilding emotional survival kit

pinktoes
16 years ago

I gather that a good while ago there was some sort of helpful advice gathered here about how to emotionally survive this ordeal we have all embarked on. The "breathe-in, breath-out" advice. I cannot find the original post; does anybody know what, if any, additional advice was contained in it?

SO, I would like to assemble an emotional survival kit for homebuilders. And I need your help. I'm definitely a survivor, but the homebuilding part is new. So, I can mostly draw on my survival tools from a career in hospitals, where humor--especially "Mash" humor--often was all that got us through.

Here's my list of brain-ticklers/ways to slice this, most of which overlap greatly:

1) HUMOR! Dark or gentle. Building related or not.

2) Other means to attitude-adjustment. Including tools from 12-Step programs; gratitude-thinking; distancing yourself from the problem; etc.

3) General stress-control practices. Meditation; exercise; change of scenery; etc.

4) Substance use/abuse. Including those newly-recognized substitutes for substances, such as shopping and compulsive sex.

5) Misc. Other: because I'm not clever enough to generate any further categories. Make up your own.

Weekends are usually slow here and this is a holiday weekend, but when ya'll get back from that, I hope you'll join in.

OK, then. I'll start with some from my personal collection, which some of you have heard from me before. But I'm gonna put them in a fresh follow-up post. Give me a minute to do that before you jump in.

Comments (12)