SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

What's old is new; repurposing some of my grandparents' things

KevinMP
10 years ago

My grandfather passed away yesterday and, ironically, I received a call just before he died letting me know that the footstool I had picked up from his condo/apt when moving him out this weekend was ready to be picked up (I had it cleaned up and reupholstered to match my living room).

Great memories of my childhood. I used to sit on it and spin around their living room as a kid. I'll try to find some pictures of it way back in the day.

It's about 40-50 years old, and I'm so glad I saved it. I used a navy velvet to match the rug and the new navy velvet chair, and a cord that the local trim place helped me pick out to match the rug and wall colors. It's kind of strange because now my living room has a 55-year-old Century coffee table (weighs a ton) and two Baker end tables, the footstool, and the weirdly shaped burled mirror I hung yesterday, all of which were my grandparents. I think they'd be proud of the care I've taken of them and the fact that they've found a good home. (The rest of their furniture (all really good furniture that remains in good condition) and rugs are scattered among the rest of the family.)

without flash and into light from outside:

with flash:

Comments (27)