SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Gallery updates!

oceanna
13 years ago

Hi all, I dropped in to update the gallery files. Here is the url:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor/nph-ind.cgi?type=gal

For those not familiar, these are a huge collection of magazine type photos of different types of rooms (plus one on cottage decor), that are posted to our photo gallery. So if you're looking for ideas for what to put on your coffee table, see the living rooms thread. If you're looking for bookcase arranging ideas, see the offices thread. There's adult and kid bedrooms, bathrooms, living/family rooms, entry halls and halls, staircases, etc.

Don't miss them!

Comments (17)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Hi Oceanna! Long time, no see! So nice of you to keep the gallery updated. Stay a while & chat!

Hope all is well with you.

• natal
    13 years ago

Oceanna, very long time! HT folks implied you went to Disney. Why so quiet?

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

How nice to see you, PNW sister! Please hang around. I remember your glass work so vividly...and always appreciated your posts, not just your amazing work on the galleries.

• maddielee
    13 years ago

Thank you! I was recently wondering where you were.

ML

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi ladies, and thank you all for your very kind words! I've missed you all too! :) Seriously, I don't know that I had anything much to add here among all you very talented ladies. Most of the time I was just in awe of all of you.

Flyleft, I'm amazed you remember the windows I made. Cool, thanks! Hey, where did our summer suddenly go?

For those not familiar with these Gallery Glass windows... I made this one for my son, who wanted more privacy beside his front door:

This is in my bathroom and it gave me more privacy without curtains to launder:

This is my entry (it stops people on the street from looking in, but I can look out):

(pardon the ladder in this pic and I've since removed the arch over the door)

Any of you could make windows like this at your houses. I designed my own patterns, but I noticed at Michaels the other day they have some gorgeous new patterns. Check them out!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Beautiful windows, Oceanna. I especially like the bathroom window! Lovely!

I remember your colorful pots near your beautiful exterior front door & stairway! Great curb appeal!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! The pots are still out there, this year with geraniums in them. Don't think I'll use geraniums next year -- I've never liked the smell of them. Usually I do petunias.

Those pots are just regular clay pots, painted with leftover house paint, decorated with Plaid acrylics, then sealed with polyurethane. They were fun to do, making checks with a flat brush, and polka dots with q-tips. I always thought they would make a lovely Girl Scout project that the girls could do for their moms for Mothers Day. Here they are:

I made two new big ones that are at the corners of the garage.

• susan209
    13 years ago

You certainly do have talent galore, you are a true artist. Thanks so much for your post, I loved seeing your work!!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your kind words, Susan. These were all fun projects and anyone can learn to do something similar, really. The windows just took a little patience, but if you can color in a coloring book, you can do them from the patterns and directions at Michaels. I still think the flower pots would make a great teenager project. Just put a few inspirational photos of hand painted pots in front of them (there are plenty on the web), give them the paint, and watch them go. :)

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Hello oceanna! Nice to see you back. I have been looking at the office gallery all summer. You are a gem to provide the galleries for us.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

oceanna- Is there a kit that you buy at Micheals? I have two windows that I would love to do, your certainly look like real stained glass

Thanks

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Kitchenkelly! Thanks, nice to see you too. Did you happen to notice when the ceiling thread disappeared from the gallery? That still has me scratching my head. It would be a LOT of hours of work to replace it, so I'm wondering if anyone even cared enough to make it worthwhile. Glad you enjoy the gallery threads -- thanks!

Hi Jeannie01. Thanks! I tried to make each "piece of glass" look like the real thing and unless you get right up on them, they do look real. Once you're nose-to-nose with them you realize they're not, but they're so pretty you don't care -- at least I think so.

No, the two windows I did were my own designs (though the center of the big one is a Tiffany design I adopted). However, there are some beautiful new patterns out that Michaels has -- I saw them a couple of weeks ago at my local store, so it's worth it for you to check them out. If you do your windows, it's quite a lot of work standing on your feet (if you're a perfectionist like I am). I did my bathroom window in place. But for the huge one where I would have had to be up on a ladder, no way. I had the hardware store cut me a piece of plexiglas to fit the window and did it on my living room rug. For my son's, I did the dragonfly and the flowers at my dining room table on special cling stuff you can get from the Window Butterflies lady online, then did the rest of the window right on the glass, incorporating and sealing those in. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

oceanna, I don't have a Michael's here. Tell me more. I have wanted to do something like that for a few years but no one to hold my hand and with the kitchen and bathroom taking all my time for a year I've put it on the back burner. I'm thinking of painting a knock off of Ann Sacks tile for my backsplash and some sort of window treatment for the bathroom, then a tile project and THEN I could concentrate on the window. I shop on line mostly since I'm in the boonies. Could I search the Michael's site for this stuff? What do I look for?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinch Me, I just looked on the Michael's site and didn't see it. Looks like Amazon and some other sites have it. Try this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery glass window patterns

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH Oceanna Loving your windows. I do mosaics. Nothing as lovely as what you are doing. Can't wait for winter to get started in on projects again.

PNW you might not be too far from me in Idaho.

Chris

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Chris, thanks! I'm near Seattle. Idaho is lovely.

I hope you'll post some of your mosaics for us to see!

If you can do those, you can do these windows.

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

Hi Oceanna! I'm back from a couple years ago.. and I remember loving your gallery of collections.. still do!!! Thanks, it's exactly what I need again!