SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cissado

Humming when water is turned on.

16 years ago

First, this may only be an issue with my baby monitors and nothing electrical, but I'll ask anyway because I know you guys want to answer these odd questions. HA!

My baby monitor speaker is plugged into the basement and the microphone part is 2 floors up in a bedroom. When the tub water is turned on, the speaker starts to hum loudly. It has always happened at the same time the water is turned on. What would be the reason for that?

The house is a total rehab with new plumbing, and I installed the electric. I grounded everything properly. Ran a LOT of dedicated runs. Have 2 ground rods outside, jumped the water meter, jumped the hot water heater. I do have a 12 circuit subpanel in the upstairs bedrooms.

So, is it the grounding to the water pipes that is causing the interference or anything else?

or Is it like I said above, just a cheapo baby monitor that has nothing to do with the electrical wiring?

Is this a common issue? I did have a similar problem with my Home theater speakers with my cable TV. I didn't have the issue until I switched from Satellite to Cable TV. 'Ground loop hum'. That's a whole other issue though.

Comments (4)