SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keviv_gw

Time switch has 3 wires, box has 4. How do I wire?

keviv
13 years ago

Hi all,

I wanted to install a timer switch for my bathroom exhaust. I picked up one of these at Home Depot: Leviton Timer Switch 6161T.

The issue is that the old switch had 4 wires connected to it, while this one only has 3 wires coming out of it. (The old switch is just a plain old on/off switch.)

On the new switch, I successfully connected the hot and the load (both were black), and the ground wire (green wire to bare wire).

The remaining wire just runs from the original switch, to another on/off switch next to it, which controls the bathroom light.

What do I do with that wire on the new switch? There is nowhere to connect that on the new switch. I tried just taping it up and leaving it in the back, but when I reconnected everything, none of the lights in the bathroom worked. I was able to reconnect all 4 wires on the old switch and get it working again.

Any idea how to make this new switch work? What can I do about the extra wire?

Is it possible that extra wire is a neutral wire? Why would it just run from switch to switch? Note, I did also see white wires inside, from the line side, and the two load sides. They were all just connected to each other with screw connector, and not connected to either of the original switches. White wires are usually neutral right?

Note that the instructions for the new switch say "a neutral connection is not required for this device".

Appreciate any help!

-Kev

Comments (8)