SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_2_4_gw

My Brother is Joining our Ranks! HELP!

mom_2_4
21 years ago

Hello all! It's been busy season, but I'd like say that I hope everyone has a happy holiday season!

My brother was married once briefly many, many years ago. No kids. He has been dating a woman with 3 kids, a 22 year old, a 20 year old and a 10 year old. They have plans to marry next year, and he's just been introduced to step-family life in a BIG way! I haven't really had a chance to warn him about how much fun this is -- we live in different states.

Here's the poop ... his girlfriend's husband passed away suddenly, so the kids are still traumatized by that, even though it's been a couple of years. GF and her husband had an awful, abusive marriage so while she was upset, it didn't rock her world like it would have if they had been close. His GF has apparently been supporting the 22 and 20 year old -- and I mean totally. Even though they are both working, she's paid for their cars, insurance, spending money, a place to live -- everything. Seems like she didn't have the guts herself to force her kids to grow up, so she had my brother do it. She had him advise them that she will no longer pay their way. Yeah, you guessed it. Big problems, especially with the 22 year old. Mommy's not the bad guy, my brother is. But, he bought into it and did her dirty work for her, so I blame both of them.

I will be seeing my brother and his GF for the holidays, and I understand that they want to get some advice from me on step-family life. Here is what I think. First off, it's HER place to talk to her own kids and let them know that Mommy's no longer the gravy train. My brother should have had no involvement in this whatsoever. I also think that she should have given them a window ... say ... "I will no longer support you. You have six months (or whatever) to get your act together". I think it's unrealistic to cut them off cold turkey. She hasn't taught them to be adults, so how can she expect them to turn into adults overnight?

I also think they need joint counseling before they get married. They need to know how to handle issues NOW, before they say I DO. I don't think either of them has a clue what they are signing up for.

Do you guys agree? The other thing I'm not sure of is how they can repair the damage that's already been done. Do you all think they can get beyond it, and he can (in the future!) establish a positive relatinship with the 22 year old? What would you guys tell them if you were me?

THANKS!

Comments (2)