SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
des_arc_ya_ya

Helping My Brother Cope With His Wife's Death

des_arc_ya_ya
12 years ago

My brother and I were the only two children in our family. He is now 66 and I am 61. We lost our dad ten years ago and lost our mom in Dec. of last year. In April of this year his wife was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer. She died on July 2.

I had kidded him after our mom died that if he would let me I'd just move in with him and sit in his lap all the time. That's just how bad I felt! We were a small family of four and were very, very close.

One of our mom's fears was about how we would make it without her and daddy. She was always so adamant that we stick together and take care of each other and we have done that.

I feel so helpless trying to help him cope with the loss of his wife. They were married forty years and he's still grieving for our mom and now this.

I went to see him this afternoon and when I left we both were just sobbing. We live about 80 miles apart. His children are all grown and gone and he and the dog are alone in their house.

I know all the things that you're supposed to do and say to grieving people, but it seems like with my brother and me nothing is adequate to take away even a little of the hurt.

Please give me some advice if you can spare some and remember my brother in your prayers. Thank you so much.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler