SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncgirlie_2000

My Experience with Smith Brothers of Berne, IN

NcGirlie_2000
9 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I joined this forum to provide some information on my experience in buying a new Leather Sofa and Love seat earlier this year. When I was researching information on the manufacturers I was looking at, there wasnt a lot of information on Smith Brothers that I could find on the web in regards to customer experiences with the brand.
After sitting/laying on literally hundreds of sofas from every manufacturer I narrowed my choices down to pretty much Smith Brothers and Braddington Young. I ultimately decided on the Smith Brothers sofa as it felt the best as far as comfort to me. This set was replacing a 4 year old set from Ashely furniture (garbage) that was extremely uncomfortable and the frame of which was breaking down soon after purchase. My goals in buying my next set was comfort, durability, and budget.

I ultimately bought the Smith Brothers set from Whitley Furniture Gallery in Zebulon, NC. What sold me on the set was the way it sat, the style I was looking for which was tight back, and the sales person and demonstrations on the spring system of the set and the lifetime warranty on the cushion cores. The Smith Brothers website also has a lot of information on the construction of their pieces. Once I decided on the set I was nervous and spend many sleepless nights wondering if I made the right decision in my purchase. If anyone has priced it, you know it�s pretty pricey, for not being the 8-way hand tied standard that we here so much about. I loved the style and comfort of the sofa, but couldn�t really see it in leather as no dealer in my area had one on display. I also find it difficult to envision a whole piece from an 8in x 8in leather sample you are able to view in the store. Even though the store was gracious enough to allow me to take the sample home for a few days. It took approx. 10 weeks from order to delivery of my sofa.

I was please by it the sofa when delivered and also a little shocked. The richness and color of the set is beautiful! I decided on a grade 2 (pigmented) leather as I knew it get daily use, and we live on our living room furniture from eating to sleeping.  I have posed pictures of it here, but the pictures don�t do it justice. I was instantly in love with it. It sat just like the model in the store, no surprises and the detailing was gorgeous. But, there was also a significant wrinkle in the leather at the bottom of the sofa, by the seam and nail head that looked awful! I was shocked that their quality control allowed it to leave the facility, and that the furniture store actually delivered it. It was sent back to them for repair. It took approximately 1 month to the day to get the sofa repaired and returned.

I am really pleased with this purchase. One of my friends is actually looking to by the exact set which I'm a bit miffed about. :-) But I'll take the compliment. I am excited to see how it will hold up.

Hopefully this review will assist anyone looking at this brand for leather furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

Comments (32)