SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

Opinions wanted~ ncp took SD outta school early

imamommy
16 years ago

My SD lives with DH and me. Her mom has her the first three weekends each month and picks her up on Friday from school. Most of the time, she's late and calls us to say she's going to be late and SD rides the bus home to wait for her. We don't have a problem with that, except that it upsets SD. However, this past Friday, BM picked her up two hours early, signing her out of school at lunch time to take her. She didn't call and let DH know she was doing this, let alone get his permission. SD has been struggling in school since her mom abandoned her and she's just beginning to get back on track. At this point, we don't know why she picked her up that early, but we have a theory. She has to drive 2 1/2 hours to get here and she also has to pick up her other daughter from grandma's house, about an hour away from us. The reason she's been late in the past, we believe, is she was going to get the older daughter first and then coming here to get SD and go back home. Of course, she lies so much, we'll never know the true reason she does anything. But, this Friday was her new BF's son's birthday and we think she was trying to get back earlier for that.

Anyways, DH and I agree that we are not even going to let her know that we found out. (the teacher called me because she was concerned over who has physical custody and if BM had a legal right to get her early, which I don't believe she does) We decided that, unless this becomes a habit, to let it go this time.

I'd just like some other opinions of this. Should a non custodial parent be allowed to take a child out of school early for their convenience? Is it a big deal that she didn't let DH know she was getting her early? We sort of feel torn, that it's not that big a deal to get her early but it also is because she took her out of school and didn't let DH know.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living