SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxtrender

Wiring a Heat Pump for a pool

16 years ago

Ok, help...which would be better?

A little background info...

Currently there is a 2 pole 30 amp breaker in my basement panel that feeds through undground conduit (100ft) and #10 wire a sub-panel out by the pool. In the sub-panel there is a 2 pole 15 amp breaker that feeds the pool pump and a 15 amp GFCI breaker that feeds the pool light and an outlet. The pump FLA is 14.8/7.8-7.4

I want to install a heat pump for the pool that has on the info plate the following info: Power Supply 208/220, Hz 50/60, PH 1, Breaker Amps 30

My brain tells me that if I wire the heat pump to the existing sub-panel per the manufactures instructions the breaker in the house panel will trip when the pool pump and heat pump kick on. (Heat pump has a flow sensor that requires pool pump to be on before heat pump kick on but its nearly simultaneous).

If that is correct then I guess I have three options.

Option 1: Remove 30 breaker in house panel and replace with 50 amp breaker, pull #10 wire from conduit and replace with I believe #6, then add 30 amp breaker to sub-panel by pool and then wire from sub panel to heat pump.

Option 2: Install a 30 amp breaker to main house panel and run #10 wire through empty already buried conduit (had them add that when they dug the original trench for just such a situation). On the pole that the sub panel is on I install a A/C weather proof disconnect, and then wire to heat pump...

Now the jury rigged suggestion from my father...

Option 3: My brain also tells me that the heat pump will not draw 30 amps when operating but needs close to 30 amps to startup and then like the pool pump operates at a lower amperage. I am just guessing but it may only need 15 amps or so once running and that coupled with the 7.8 amps from the pool pump once running only adds up to 23 amps or so..thus if I up size the breaker in the main panel to 50 amps to meet the initial startup amperage needed but use the existing #10 wire in the conduit and install a 30 amp breaker at the existing sub-panel by the pool. Other than at startup the whole system would be drawing less than 30 amps total thus the wiring would be ok size...(remembering that I cannot use the outlet by the pool for a whole heck of a lot)

Anyone offer advice on which may be better and any recommendations would be helpful...

Comments (5)