SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_house_funk

electrical questions

9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm dealing with a few electrical questions and hoping that some experienced folks might be able to help me.

Issue 1:
The previous owners had a dropped ceiling in the bathroom. From what I can tell, the bathroom had been remodeled and the original ceiling box was closed up and they spliced some romex to the fixture that was attached to the dropped ceiling.

I had the ceiling drywalled, but they basically just covered the ceiling box and left the romex extended out. Right now, it's capped and taped to prevent moisture from getting in, but still.. exposed romex in the bathroom above the shower seems kind of questionable.

As you can guess, I'm eager to put the situation right.

However, I'm not sure what the proper or smartest way to approach the existing ceiling box is. The drywall guy said I could put an access panel up there and hide the wire until I need it. That could work - but are those panels rated for damp conditions? Ideally, I'll put a flush-mount fixture up properly, but either way, I'm going to need to keep the ceiling box accessible, right?

Issue 2:
Doing some updating of the wiring in the kitchen. Previous wiring was grounded but no GFCI protection. The walls are plaster over brick, so I'm going with Wiremold. I'm having a heck of a time folding the wires into the deep box. I could just get them all in on the final receptacle (with pigtails), but the one under the sink (with a line and load connection, plus the pigtailed grounds) doesn't seem to have enough space to go in, even without pigtailing the hot and neutral wires. I'm using the leviton slim design gfcis, and the wiremold 5748 single gang deep box. I know I'm within the lines on the box fill rules, but that doesn't make it any easier to fit.

Issue 3:

In my living room are two of the old push-button switches. One controls a ceiling fan/light in the room and the other controls the light in the front porch. Both look to be 3-way switches, yet there is no other place in the house that I can see is controlled by these. Am I missing something? My understanding of a 3-way switch is that there should be another switch elsewhere.

Thanks!

Comments (9)