SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alagard

He Says HE Knows His Kids Best...

alagard
21 years ago

My DH & I have been together fro almost 4 yrs. Bwteen us we have 5 kids - 4 at home. I have 18 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter and his are 16 yr old daughter & 8 yr old son. The 16 yr old lived with her BM until a few mo. ago. Everything was going pretty good till she moved in. She's daddys girl- of course and she & I have always gotten along pretty well. BUt...the last couple of months, since we implemented assigned chores for all kids, she has - daily- found one way or another to get out of doing hers - the laundry. Either she waits(forgets) till she doesn't have time before going to work, or cooks supper (hamburger helper usually) and dad does laundry, etc. When I complain it's not fair to the other kids when she doesn't do her chores, he takes her side. Well, it has caused a lot of fights between he & I. ANd we NEVER used to fight. I guess I'm slow but I finally figured out she was playiong some kind of game with me, I guess just to see if daddy would take her side. We almost broke up b/c of this and other issues. I finally told her I didn't know why she wanted us to fight but I was done with it. If she wanted to make her father do her chores and he accepted that, who was I to say anything. Then later her dad told her we were having probs & may split up. She told him she didn't want that to happen and has been good as gold since.

But what he told me kinda bugs me. HE says because he has raised these (his) kids all there lives, he understands what they need beter than me. Basicall y I feel, he wants me to butt out of disciplinary issues with his kids and he'll stay out of mine - as far as is possible. BUt I really think he's wrong. There have been many, many times when one of my kids was using manipulative behavior on me and because I'm so close to them I didn't pick it up and he did. ANd visa-versa. His daughter is especially good at the "I'm sorry daddy, I wont do it again, I'll do better, etc.etc. But, I have decided it's a fight I can't win and not worth destroying us over. Hopefully we will reach a point we can work thru this. ANy of you have suggestions, experiences with this type of problem? Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments (11)