SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psych1_gw

bathroom fan timer switch install

15 years ago

I am trying to install a bathroom electronic timer switch. The existing wiring is not what I was expecting. The exisitng switch is in a double gang box with the light switch. There are three cables coming into the box. One cable (1) has red white and black wires, the other two (2 &3)have only black and white (all three have ground). WHites all join togehter as expected. The black from cable 2 goes to one terminal on switch (A), then via a jumper to the other switch (B). The other terminal of switch A is connected to the red wire (cable 1). The terminal on switch B (fed by the jumper from switch A) is also connected to the black wire from cable 3. The second terminal of switch B has black from cable 1 connected to it. I am not understanding what this jumper does because it appears that each switch already has a hot wire coming in. The timer switch has the usual black, white, red and green. I was thinkinking that the black goes to the hot wire, the white goes to the other whites and the red goes to the fan, but with the jumper, I can;t figure out which is the hot. I would be greatful for any advice, other than to call an electrician ;)

Comments (2)