SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_1

Help with 7 year old Stepson...

shannon_1
17 years ago

Well, I have been reading alot of messages on here, and am finding that alot of people feel the same as I do, but I didn't really see any situations that were similar to mine, with a child I mean...

Anyways, I have been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years. He has a son who is now 7 from his previous marriage (which was not a good one, ended in adultery on her part).

At first the child and I got along famously. There was a nasty cusotdy battle going on during that time, but our house was a lot less stressful than it is now.

Then in Feb. of 2005, I found out I was preg. This was fine with me, but bf had problems with it, thinking his son would feel left out..? ( I should mention now that the relationship they have, although not a close one, is very bizarre on both ends...they fight all the time, but the child seems to be the be-all-and-end-all to bf, even over me and our son together.)

The child did not find out until i started showing that babe was on the way. Shortly before that things got ugly. He wanted nothing to do with me, and was always all over his dad, and asking his dad every minute or two to go into another room and play with him. Basically segregating them from me, this contintues now even however much worse. If the dad refuses to play the kid gets upset. I have been at home since my preg was 3 months in, and I took care of the child (who is week on week off with us ) while he was with us, and dad was at work. The entire time that the dad was at work the kid would sit in our rec room which is downstairs and play vid games. he would never come upstairs (again this is still continuing) unless dad came home. He constantly ignores me, he will walk right past me and go to his dad to say good morning.

After the baby came nothing changed, as i hoped it would. He still had no interest in being a family. And he began to segregate himself from even his father. We tried everything and i spent most of my days calling the child up to do ccrafts etc. only to be turned down, if i even got an answer half the time.

then all of a sudden things with the child went really bizarre, he began lying about things to his dad, and whatever i told bf was going on when he was at work, child would deny and say i was lying. At 6 yrs old!

Finally I had had enough, bf and I had been fighting so bad, and i couldnot put the babe thru it anymore, I left for 2 days with baby, during which the child confessed to his father that he was being mean to me so i would go away...apparently when father tried to talk to him about it he freaked out and said his mom told him to ( i admit this may have happened, but why did he not come out with that right off the bat, instead of when he knew he was in trouble, just seemed like a way to place the blame if you ask me)

I decided to come home, i had a talk with the child and thought everything would get better. slowly but surely the behaviour started happening again, the segrating ( I do not see the child at all until father comes home.) and the child was basically creating two families under one roof right before our eyes. I will say hubby does make some effort, but will not resort to punishment for bad behaviour (which is a daily thing as far as i am concerned)

then the other day i had had enough, and decided to go for a drive with baby, while i was gone the child told his dad that he wants his mom to move back in - that he liked it better when she lived there, how he would even know that is beyond me, they have not lived together since he was 1.5 yrs!

dad told him it was unnacceptable, however nothing has changed, what is worse is that my son is getting the worst of it all, witnessing his father and i fighting several times a day, and the kid literally loving it...

I am sorry to say (and i feel like a bad person doing it) but i do not even like to be in the same house as this child anymore and i truly think it is scary that at this age he has become such a disgraceful person in my eyes. i do not make any special efforts for him anymore, as i said half the time he wont even speak to me, so why waste the effort only to be emotionally abused in the end. he truly is so selfish, and does not care about anyones feelings but his own, we always have tried to make him happy when he is here, but nothing seems to work, and he just continues to lie to his father and put the guilt trip on him all the time, which just drives me nuts.

We are seriously discussing splitting up, and i wondered if you guys have any ideas that may save my life, and my sons.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES