SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearab_gw

please help!!! 7 year old destroyed guest room!

cearab
13 years ago

OMG: My 7 year old niece has destroyed a beautiful guest room in my house. Let me back it up by saying that she is a real pigpen and her room at my sister's looks like a swamp. She wrote all over her white furniture at her house with magic markers and destroyed that. My sister did not react to this the way our mother would have. She is matter of fact about it, though our mother would have ripped out every hair on our heads if we ever did what this little one did.

Anyway, in the interest of being a good aunt, I filled a chest up with dolls, books, coloring books, crayons, stickers, etc, to keep my niece entertained when she comes to my house. She's staying over, and I went upstairs with her to the guest room and I am just sick about what she has done. My comforter, sheets, and blanket are covered with too many stains to count from crayons and markers. Honestly, I don't know where she found the markers, but she removed them from the outside covering somehow and must have squeezed the ink from them onto the sheets and bedding. She even found some creme eye shadow of mine and that is also rubbed in. My beautiful Karastan ivory wool area rug is covered with at least 50 stains of varying sizes and colors from green, red, blue, brown. It literally looked like the room had been vandalized, with papers torn and hundreds of broken crayons everywhere, ground into the rug and on the bedding. I am heartsick over this, sick to my stomach. I cannot afford to replace anything right now since I am currently unemployed.

I have very nice things that I have always saved up to purchase, rather than just buying something cheap. This bedding set came from Neiman Marcus, and though over 10 years old, is (was) in excellent condition. I have all the matching pillows, bed skirt, etc to go with it.

I don't even know where to begin to clean up. I will not be able to do anything until Wed due to a previous appt tomorrow. Please, if anyone has suggestions as to what to do, can you please advise? The rug is ivory color wool, with a Celtic pattern woven into it. The sheets and blanket are cotton, and the sheets and comforter are patterned, so I cannot bleach. The crayons were Crayola and Dollar store brand. There was also a paint set that she dug her fingers into and on the bed. I just want to cry about this...and probably will. HELP!!

Comments (21)