SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
radry

Electrical Noise from AC condenser

radry
15 years ago

I noticed what I thought was an electrical noise when my outside AC condensor unit first starts up. Sort of like a buzz or strain, but not like crackling arcing noise. The freon was recently checked and the unit cools very well. So I thought the problem might be in the panel. When it first started up I heard the noise somewhat by the panel, sort of a vibration noise.

I explained to the installer and they thought the breaker might be bad. They sent an electrician. Who removed old breaker, checked for signs of burn etc. Ran voltage test with his clamp on meter (a bit over 20 amps at initial start, and then about 7 amps when its running) and he said it all looked ok. The noise he felt was associated with the vibration of the wiring when it first starts up.

The electrician checked outside units ratings on the label. The draw he said was a minimum of 18 amps to maximum 30 amps. It was installed to the same breaker and wiring that the old AC unit used.....12AWG and double throw 20 amp breaker with maybe a 50 feet at most run of wire.

He said beefing it up to 10 and a 30 amp breaker might get rid of the sound, but he wasnt sure. But the way it was wired now was fine and didnt see a need to spend the money to beef it up. There is only the very minimum of light dim when the unit first kicks on, and a breaker has never tripped.

Is this good advice? Would it be normal to hear a sound as I describe when it first kicks on? Thanks.

Comments (4)