SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisalyn67

Authority issues in a blended family

lisalyn67
16 years ago

Problem in a nutshell: My husband and I married in 2002 and we each have three children...2 boys and 1 girl for both of us. My daughter was 15 and two sons were 9 and 12. His daughter was 11 and his two sons were 13 and 14. Of course there were problems, mostly with my daughter, the oldest of all the kids. He was very strict on her and she was punished severely (a month with no phone, no tv, no radio) for the smallest thing. My husband has a control issue and he was the one setting the rules. It was a very trying time in our marriage, but I didn't want to cause more problems by "usurping" his authority. We fought over it constantly.

Now my daughter is 20 and in the Navy and I am so proud. And now his daughter, who is his "baby" and 16 yrs. old, is doing the same things my daughter did, but with no reprecussions whatsoever. The rules have all changed and when I try to interject my opionion on anything concerning her, I am told that I am just trying to cause trouble and make her life miserable. My two sons, 14 and 17, live with us as well. They have daily chores and seldom go many places. We live in the sticks, you see. But if they mess up (have a bad attitude, fighting) they have their priviliges taken away. But, my SD goes and comes all the time, does a chore maybe once a week and gets away with outrageous behavior with no consequences.

I have tried to work this issue out with hubby many times, but all we do is wind up fighting. She is 16, and he is letting her date a 20 and stay out until 2 or 3 am with him. At 18, my daughter had to be home by 11:00 or she was grounded for 2 weeks. SD still has 1 1/2 years of high school, but I don't know if I can't take much more. Does anyone have any advice? I would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!

Comments (5)