SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Wirelessly control power strip/adapter?

jaxo
10 years ago

I have a 13 amp misting pump that has been relocated from the patio to the garage because the pump motor noise was annoying when we are outside with the misters running to keep the patio cool. I would like to be able to turn the cooling misters off and on without having to walk back and forth to the garage and flip the on/off switch on the pump and I don't want to have to pay an electrician hundreds of dollars to install a wired switch in a convenient location near the patio.
I went Lowes and bought a Utiltech photocell timer with wireless remote. The photocell was not needed, but that's all they had. I set it to be always off (ignoring photocell) and used the wireless remote to wirelessly turn it on and off.
It worked OK from the patio for the first two days I used it as long as I pointed the remote through the house in the direction of the garage. By the third day, it would not work until I walked inside and was under 10 feet away from the garage. While that is still better than having to go into the garage and flip the switch on the pump, it is not what I wanted. Not sure how or why it worked from the patio the first two days, but apparently this device does not have the power/range I need to use it from the patio and send the signal through three walls and any closed doors inside the house between the patio on one side of the house and the garage on the other side of the house.
As an experiment, I just tried pressing the fob to my chin (like extending the range on a car door remote fob) and it worked from outside again, but I don't want to get cancer from doing that long term.
I am going to return it to Lowes before the return period expires and try to find something I can order online or from Home Depot with a stronger signal so I don't need to use my skull as an antenna.

I have heard of Insteon and X10 wireless appliance modules, but I think they may be overkill since I don't need "Home Automation," I just need a dumb on off switch that has the power to go 40 feet through 3 stucco and wood walls using a wireless remote.
I will look at those if nothing else will work. Apparently, with Insteon, you can get repeaters to boost the signal if you have range issues.

Any recommendations?

Comments (8)