SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrier96

new circuit panel w/ 40amp breaker for large a/c unit?

terrier96
15 years ago

I just had a new circuit panel installed to replace the old Pacific. After it was installed and up and running, the electrician told me I have should have the a/c unit checked out because it was causing something(a breaker?) to get warm.

I called out a/c maintainance co., they came and cleaned up my unit, and told me the breaker was only 40amps. And since it says right on the a/c unit 44min and 70max amps, I don't have a large enough breaker for it on this new circuit panel. Which is why it is getting warm.

I told the electrician before this unit was installed that I have a very large a/c unit(8tons)and since they told me I needed some maintainance on it I know they were aware of the size. Also, before this circuit panel was installed I made it clear I needed them to do whatever was necessary to give us enough power.

Hope this all make sense, I know nothing about electic, but my question is; Should I be upset with this electric company about this issue, or is it so complicated that I should understand and just give them a chance to fix it???

Comments (6)