SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankrizzo1856

adding multiple electrical outlets to box

frankrizzo1856
15 years ago

I found a 3 gang box in a closet in my garage, which had a blanking plate cover on it. Opened it up and found three incoming lines all pigtailed together. So I would like to make use of this box and put in 3 electrical outlets. Through some testing and trial and error, have determined the following:

- One line is "hot", while other two have no power coming from them. So seems the one hot wire was providing power to the other two lines via the pigtail

- One of the non-power lines is connected directly to another outlet in my garage

- The remaining non-hot line is connected to a GFI outlet in my bathroom above my garage (this is then connected to another gfi outlet in the next bathroom)

So what I thought I could do and please correct me if I am way off here is:

- pigtail the 3 black wires (essentially providing the power now to the exisiting two non-hot lines), while adding a 4th black wire to the pigtail to connect directly into the first outlet

- do the same as above for the white neutral lines

- add white/black wires to connect the two other outlets in a line

- for the ground wires, not sure - but one thought was to run the three existing ground wires that are there from the 3 incoming lines directly to each individual new outlet

Will this work and does anyone see any issues with this?

Thank you soooo much!!

Comments (2)