SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

How to fuse 220V/!5A device on 220V40A circuit

lee676
14 years ago

Hi, I live i an apartment with only a scant 100A elecrical service available. Much of this is allocated to a 40A loose recepticle behind the kitchen stove, evidentually placed there thinking it would surpport an electric oven or compact stove. But a gas stove is installed there instead, and the 220 circuit (which is live - I tested it) goes unused.

I've given some thought to running the 220 line into the adjacent bathroom annex to use for a washing machine, specifically one of the several 220V/15A front-loading washers that quickly heat their own water and don't draw from the water heater tank. My only qualm is how and where to fuse the circuit so it allows a 220V/15A to trip at 16A, not over 40A. Some devices with two fused 220V/15A outlets that plug into a 220V/30A dryer outlet are available for this purpose (the paired compact dryers also run on 220V/15A), although these are hard to find sometimes. Or I could just put an electrical junction box somewhere along the way with a fused 15A outlet on it. I suppose there's the option of replacing the 220/40A circuit breaker with a 220/15A one,, but this will require shutting down electricity for two other apartments, something I'd prefer to avoid, and the wiring would be unnecessarily thick gauge.

How best this be done? I favor the first approach, adding a fuse or circuit breaker in line, but where and what type of fuses of circuit breakers would I need? All I see at the big box store are circuit breakers made installing in a panel, old-fashioned screw-in fuses, Buss type in-line fuses with holders, and such. Some specify amperage but not voltage - are these devices ok for 220v use (I'm aware we're dealig with two hot wires, a neutral, and a ground here, and I don't want to trip only one phase of a split-phase circuit.) I'd want be safe and up to code, if not necessarily conventional.

What do you suggest? Thx.

Comments (22)