SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
groovygeek

Circuit breaker requirements for Bosch and Samsung ranges

groovygeek
9 years ago

This has been the most frustrating week of my life. We are in the market for a new induction range, and I have been trying to figure out whether the models my wife likes can be accommodated by our existing wiring (50A breaker for the range). The story is confusing as hell, and none of the manufacturer supports line have been useful and forthcoming, so I am hoping members who have purchased one of these models can chime in

a) My wife's favorite is the Samsung NE58H9970WS. Samsung stubbornly refuses to provide ANY guidance on the circuit breakers needed for the range, nor do they provide detailed drawings for the needed cutout and outlet placement. Apparently they think that I am supposed to spend nearly $3k and once the thing shows up at my door I can figure out if it fits and if I need to spend another $1k upgrading my wiring. But I digress...With a bit of sleuthing you can figure out that the cooktop is 7.9kW, the range is 4.3kW and the warming rack is another 0.6kW. This adds up to 12.8kW or around 53A, meaning that technically I am risking breaker trips if my wife is insane enough to run over+broiler+warmer+all elements on the cooktop simultaneously. The folks at AJ Madison had to call up their distributor who also stated that the consumption is 53A, and a Home Depot technical rep stated that a 60A breaker is needed - it all kind of ties up

b) The runner-up is the Bosch HIIP054U. My wife likes the looks considerably less, and so do I. I hate electronic controls on ranges with a passion, and the Samsung has at least some knobs on it. In any case, Bosch's technical documentation is far more helpful (though their phone people are just as clueless). There they clearly state "Circuit breaker 40A", but right above it they state that the power consumption is 13.8kW. Pulling out my beloved RPN calculator from my pocket protector, I get 13800W/240V=57.5A. Pardon my French but... WTF?!?

If I can install a 13.8kW range on a 40A breaker, then I certainly should be able to do the same with a 12.8kW range. Before I plunk down somewhere north of $2.5k for either range, can any member who has either the Samsung NE58H9970WS or the Bosch HIIP054U do me a favor and walk up their breaker box and tell me what they have it running on?

Thanks!

This post was edited by GroovyGeek on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 22:16

Comments (23)