SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwichman_gw

Hot ground wire and strange voltage readings on multiwire circuit

dwichman
14 years ago

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I'm not an electrician, but I have a working knowledge of home electrical and I can do simple things like change and add recepticles, etc. I know when something is over my head, and I think this is one of them. Just want to get some advice from professionals so I know what to expect when I call in a licensed pro - or maybe it's something simple I didn't think about.

While adding a recepticle above my kitchen counter I figured out, the hard way, that the ground wire was hot. I replaced the existing outlet with a GFI and then installed the new one. I noticed the existing outlet was on the same circuit as the kitchen lights, which consists of two switches, one for a flourescent and the other a hanging light fixture.

The ground wire being hot was strange enough, but then it got stranger. With the GFI switched on, when I turned on the florscent light, only 1/2 the bulbs would come on. If I tripped the GFI the rest would come on and stay one, even when I switched the GFI back on. Also with the GFI switched on I'd get 120V between the ground of both outlets, and the ground from something else, such as the range hood which is grounded. I also got 120V between the outlet grounds and the neutral wires, but 0V between the grounds and the hot wires.

If I switch the GFI off (tripped), I get a strange fraction of voltage from the wires coming into the outlet between the ground and the neutral (e.g. 80V), and between the ground and the hot (e.g. 40V), coincidentally (or not?) adding up to 120.

I opened the light fixture that is on the same circuit to have a look and I believe the circuit comes into this junction box first. At first I noticed that a ground wire and neutral wire slipped right out of the connectors, so I thought that might be my issue. But then I diconnected all the wires here so the downstream receptacles were out of the picture and got similar results as before. But here the ground wire would register 60V between the neutral and the hot.

Strange stuff. I then decided that this was probably over my head. Any ideas?

Comments (6)