SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happydad_2008

Is GF ready to be SM?

happydad_2008
15 years ago

Hi there,

I'm a divorced dad of 2 wonderful kids. BM and I separated over three years ago and the collaborative divorce came in January with joint physical custody. Things are going as well as possible and I've been fortunate with having a great girlfriend (GF) for over two years now.

Now GF and I have talked about living together and she says she is willing to move to our town and join my family but her actions appear to say otherwise. Now I don't blame her for being scared, but what I need to see is her commitment to building a family together and that means spending more time with us before moving in.

An example you say? I have talked with her a number of times about this and she mentions she understands what I'm asking for, but I still have not seen her change her actions. For example, GF wants to stop by on a Monday night at 7:00, an hour before bedtime to say hi. This is not what I call "family bonding time." I would prefer her coming over at 5:30 and have dinner together, help with homework, watch Hanna Montana, whatever. Another is on the weekend. I would expect FG to come over at 10AM and hang out, doing whatever kids want, go grocery shopping, and all the boring (but necessary) parenting duties. She wants to do her thing during the morning and day, and then show up late in the evening.

In summary, I'm looking for a partner to be with me and my kids, certainly on the vacations and fun trips, but also for the daily parenting stuff. I'm not expecting her to do the dishes or laundry, but she has to get to know the kids better. I can't risk moving into another apt and having her finally decide then she only wants me and not my kids. I can't put my kids through that.

So, what do you think? I've asked her to move in for two weeks to see how things would work before moving to a new apt. I'm continuing to talk about my feelings on this and what being a SM is about, but in the end, I feel that a GF sould want to get to know the kids and that means spending the time now, seeing if that is what she wants.

Thoughts?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012