SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
willowdancer

The Princess and the Pauper

willowdancer
16 years ago

I have been in a relationship with my BF for 2.5 years. He has an 18 y.o. daughter and has had full custody of her since she was 14. The issue that I am having is that he becomes a bumbling idiot trying to please her and oftentimes puts himself into financial binds and precarious positions in order to make her happy. He says he wants to give her the life that he didn't have when growing up and as much as he can do for her, he will do for her. All he asks of her is to finish high school, don't get pregnant, go to college, and he will take care of the rest. Well, she finished college, [not touching the second request], and is now attending community college. So she has pretty much done everything that he has asked of her which means that he takes care of all of her needs. One of which was getting a $6K car (prior to HS graduation) which he was all happy about because this would be a surprise for her. Well, the surprise came back to him because it (a 1999 Toyota Camry) wasn't what she wanted AT ALL. So he caved in and put down another $6K on a 2007 TC Scion. The deal would be that she'd pay the car note, gasoline, maintenance, and he would pay the insurance. So far she's paid 2 car notes, nothing for gas, and nothing for maintenance. Once, we had to turn back around from going to the movies (which we missed) because she forgot to tell him she needed money to get the car looked at because the check engine light was on. She needed it at that moment because she was leaving to go to her Aunt's house and getting the car looked at over in that area.

Aside from being embarassed by the way he handles himself when around her and annoyed that he always lets her get over on him, I am more annoyed that he bends over backwards for her and everything that she does is done with the barest of dedication. She graduated HS by the skin of her teeth and is on academic probation for a semester while in CC. She applied to various universities but none accepted her because of her below 2.0 GPA. She constantly lies to him and makes him jump through hoops to appease her.

But he allows this and to a certain degree it seems like he sets himself up for this to happen. He's a great guy, and she's, well she's 18 (always in the mirror telling herself she looks so much like Paris Hilton...which she does)...but we get along. I met her Mom at the HS graduation ceremony and dinner and know exactly why she wanted to be with Dad...because Mom doesn't take any crap from her.

As of late, I've been having to walk out of the room (when I'm at his house or my house) when Dad and his daughter get into one of these entanglements because I'm just so embarassed for him and am starting to resent his actions. She's never going to grow up because Dad won't let her. But now she thinks that I don't like her because it's as if she never sees me anymore and he has started to think that I have a problem with her because everytime she comes around, I go to another room or say I need to go get something from the store, etc. But really it's like I'm starting to think of him as a wimpy rag doll. This is only exacerbated by the fact that he takes her to nice restaurants and tells me about it later (when we go out it's to places like Applebees because he doesn't have enough money after dealing with his daughter), cuts me off from speaking when she either phones him or walks into the room, and allows her the lay of the land. I feel like the other woman sometimes but what I don't want to be is jealous of his relationship with his daughter. I don't know how to feel when I feel like I'm pushed to the side whenever his daughter enters the room.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012