SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Three New Electrical Panels

ntl1991
12 years ago

I'm planning the next big job that needs to be done in my home, and that's electrical.

First off, I have a 200A service entrance, which is fed into the 3-meter box, which then feeds the three panels. The service entrance cable isn't looking great and I'd like to get it replaced.

The panels are as follows: First floor has a Federal Pacific 100A Fuse Panel, Second floor has another Federal Pacific 100A Fuse Panel, and the Third floor has a Circa 1965 Federal Pacific 100A Stab-lok (Oh yes!) Circuit Breaker Panel.

The house was built in 1948 and has original 2-wire non-metallic with cloth sheathing, which is largely in great shape. I've already installed GFI's to protect ungrounded circuits in the house, and whenever I replace a switch or receptacle, I use new Romex pigtails to keep the old stuff from deteriorating too much.

I'm looking at Cutler Hammer CH22B100V panels for all three floors. The second and third floors will just be a panel swap, (kitchen counters were rewired with 20A multi-wire branch circuits a few years back) and all the wiring is up to snuff.

The 1st floor (because of ease of access from the unfinished basement) will get a dedicated refrigerator circuit, two separate 20A appliance circuits for the counters, I've already wired in a dedicated 20A circuit for a gas range I'll be getting in the future and one for a large window air conditioner. The two bedrooms and the bath (which are on one circuit) will be separated and the receptacles will all be rewired.

My electrician will be installing the panels and doing the service entrance cable along with the meter boxes; I've just done some prep work with the 1st floor circuits.

Now, what's the deal with AFCI and ungrounded conductors? I know the current NEC requires AFCI in bedrooms, living rooms, dining rooms, etc. Are there any exceptions to the use of AFCI? While I understand it helps to reduce arcs which start fires, I'd imagine it could also be a safety issue if one was unplugging a device at night and the AFCI tripped the circuit which (in my case) also powers the overhead lights. How sensitive are these AFCIs?

Comments (3)