SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spencer_electrician

Why is there 12/2 UF going up the utilitity pole in my back yard

In my back yard, midway up, on one side there is a 50 year old utility pole that is fed by the primary service pole on the other side of the yard. Has old (probably 4 gauge) covered conductors strung between them. I always saw the purpose of this pole is to power a security light that is provided by the power company in the neighboors yard. The thing I noticed is, on this same pole a 12/2, don't think it has a ground, from the days when the insulation used to be a lot larger, runs down the pole and into the ground un-protected. Could it of been the neighboor many years ago, wanting an extra outlet with free power?

What brings up another thing is I am currently putting in a french drain system and called dig-safe. They marked the power and light street light power up our side yard and stopped at the fence. They then drew an arrow pointed at this pole I'm talking about. The line to the first street light runs about 250 feet and the last time they marked the street out, it looks like there are 3 lights on that feed. This is a 50 year old installation but still, I figure a 850 feet run of 12/2 with 900 watts of light is pushing it. Plus the fact that the UF just runs up the pole, stapled up high, but down low it is tangled in the neighboors hedge.

What usually is the standard for street lights in a neighboorhood? Do they typically just enter a back yard and go up a utility pole? Is there usually any over-current protection or a disconect for them? The 12/2 in my yard just clamps right onto the lines.

Comments (2)