SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Back from the dead - why I never give up on a wintered rose till June

Hi folks

Being a zone 5 gardener, all of my roses have to deal with cold winters and frequently lose all their canes. Spring then becomes a waiting game to see who will send up new canes after the winter. Some are rapid out of the gate, some are notoriously slow to wake up (Gilbert Becaud gives me heart failure every year since I love him and he's not easily replaceable). I'll periodically monitor the roses and keep track of which ones are still not looking like they'll survive. I always have between 10-20% losses over the winter, partly because I'm always zone-pushing and you can never tell which HTs and floris will tolerate winter since they're all supposedly rated zone7.

Anyway, this spring I'd noted that Royal Dane wasn't growing and had a tiny nubbin of cane above the ground that was dry and black. Oh well, I thought, Royal Dane has already died twice on me in other parts of the yard, and this was my last chance in the sunny part of my yard (my zone 6 pocket). Besides, I reasoned, Royal Dane is considered fussy on HMF, and it was a free rose from Rogue Valley to start with. Nothing to complain about, and I'd started with low expectations anyway.

So I was quite surprised to come out Memorial Day weekend and see the following sight - green sprouts coming up for Royal Dane with no previous signs of life. And he's own root, so no chance it's the good Dr. Huey. It's unusual to get brand new growth quite this late for me, but it reinforces my resolve to wait till the truly warm days of June hit. Some roses really seem to wait for the sun to toast the soil before they deign to wake up, and I lose nothing by waiting. If I need to plant something in that spot, I just put it close by the iffy spot, and if the original rose does come back then they'll intermingle nicely.

This is encouragement for other cold zone gardeners not to give up on a rose too soon in the spring. Yes, often what looks dead really is, and nothing is going to bring the dead canes back to life so prune them off. Still, waiting can pay off, and patience is one of the most important things we cultivate as gardeners.

Cynthia

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022