SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Unfinished beadboard - different polys = different colors?

14 years ago

I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction...

I just had unfinished/natural oak beadboard installed on my island. My cabinets are "natural" oak by Merillat. Both are red oak. The beadboard looks very light right now and I slapped a coat of Minwax fast drying polyurethane in clear semi gloss last night to a scrap piece. It darkened it a bit but now it's more brown than orange. I don't think it will look horrible on the island since it won't be right against the cabinets but am curious if that's what I should be using?

Do different brands of clear coats have different color finishes? The one I used is oil based. I thought about trying to stain it first and then put a poly on but figured it might just get even darker?

I don't know what type of clear coat is on my cabinets. I would assume it would be bad for them to amber over time if my island doesn't.

Suggestions? Here's a photo. You can see how light the beadboard is at the bottom. Looks pretty goofy on my island being that light.

Please excuse the mess.

{{!gwi}}

On top of all that, I need to add corner pieces and base at the bottom. Someone will be making the corner pieces but the base I was planning on buying from Lowes because that's where I could find it. What I saw appeared to be really red and I'm concerned it's going to be yet another tone on the island.

I'm really hoping to wrap this up before Thanksgiving because I'm hosting.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)