SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doodleboo_gw

License to breed?

doodleboo
15 years ago

I have this theory. Well, maybe not so much of a theory as a question.

Why is it we need license to drive, get married, get a liquor license, own a gun, hunt or fish but we don't require them to have children? I mean seriously think about this. You get a credit score, you need permits to build anything and you need references for new jobs but there are no standards or questions asked for prospective parents. I mean it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to adopt but any moron can squirt out seven , eight or even twelve bio-children. Even adopting a PET has more requirements. Does this bother anyone else or is it just me.

I'm not saying it should be impossible to have children or that you have to be rich or have a certain IQ but I do feel in my heart of hearts there should be SOME form of criteria considering this is the ONLY area in which there isn't any and being a parent is the most IMPORTANT and influential thing a person can do.

IMHO you should be at the least able to provide the minimum for your child without MAJOR government assistance. If you need a little help with housing....fine. But if you have no food, no home, no insurance no income you should have NO KIDS. Sorry. I feel strongly about this because working for an agency that deals with low income families I see the affects that being raised in the system has on children EVERY DAY. It is a statistical FACT that children raised in poverty have ten times the issues as children not raised in poverty. They are more likely to be drug users, more likely to have mental issues, more likely to have dangerous relationships, more likely to wind up in prison, more likely to drop out of school....the list goes on and on.

I also think you should have a history of relative stability...can you hold a job? Have you been to jail? Are there reports of violence in your past? Have you been involved in domestics with your current boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife? Are you an addict?

I also believe A GED should be required. You need one for everything else!!!!

I know this sounds harsh and even Jonathan disagrees with me because by my standards he wouldn't have the girls and we wouldn't be having our baby. He has no GED. He disagreed but he couldn't argue me that his not having a GED has affected the girls and will affect our daughter as well. He is an AWESOME dad but because he doesn't have a diploma our girls have been put at a financial diasadvantage.

My thought is this...the child does not get to pick his or her parents or situation. There needs to be some baseline requirements set forth for these unborn children to protect them. How in the hell can make it harder to buy a car than to have a baby??? The worse that can happen to a car is it can be repo'd. What can happen to a child born to an unfit parent? It's scary how backwards our priorities are.

Comments (96)