SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quirkyquercus_gw

A win-win alternative to breed banning

quirkyquercus
17 years ago

I am neither for nor against breed banning and the reason I am not against the concept is because there are irresponsible dog owners specifically seeking out dog breeds that are the most prone to become dangerous. That is my belief so I'd rather be safe than sorry at the expense of all the responsible dog owners that love their breed.

So why not put into effect a licensing requirement where prospective breed owners would be required to take a general knowledge exam about pet care basics and responsible pet ownership and and also require the dogs to pass CGC or similar, watered down obedience test. I think all breeds should be subject to to this but it's a good place to start. Some other requirements would be the dog would need to be kept inside or in a sturdy shelter of some kind, not a dog house and not tied to a tree, staked in the ground or anything like that.

Revenues generated from license and exam fees could pay for an additional animal control officer(s) for enforcement and also to help with regular animal control stuff during times of peak activity.

Similar to an all out ban, there will be n'er-do-wells who slip through the cracks but I think making an attempt to educate people would be a good first step.

This concept goes against my somewhat libertarian viewpoints but when it comes to safety and wellbeing of both humans and animals, I am anything but libertarian.

Comments (72)

Sponsored