SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Conflicted feelings about the Derby this Saturday

amicus
8 years ago

My cousin owns race horses, and one will run in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday. We have a very large extended family, and of course, everyone's rooting for his horse to win.

My dilemma is that I too, would hope my cousin's horse will win, out of all the horses running. But personally, I'm against horse racing in general, because of the risk of injury or death it involves. Every year, numerous horses are injured or die, during or after running races.

That said, despite my aversion to it, I was still happy for my cousin back in 2012, when I learned his horse won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness. But I was more proud of the choice he made right before his horse was to compete in the Belmont Stakes, for the final leg of the Triple Crown.

The day before the Belmont Stakes, the trainer noticed a small swelling on one foreleg of my cousin's horse, indicating possible tendonitis developing. He could have been given an anti-inflammatory to rid the swelling, and still raced the next day.

Many racehorses who develop a slight injury before an upcoming race, are medicated, so it won't be painful, which would cause them to be slower. This doesn't mean the underlying cause disappeared, just that drugs temporarily numbed the area. Some even go on to win the race, because they run at their normal speed, when they can't feel any pain.

But running hard with even a slight bit of tendonitis can jeopardize a horse's leg, as any injury should be rested, not tested.

My cousin immediately had his horse scratched from racing in the Belmont the next day. He chose to forego any chance for the Triple Crown, rather than allow his horse to run the race with possible tendonitis, covered by an anti-inflammatory.

I was thrilled to learn that, as I'm sure it must have been hard to do, especially since his horse was not favouring the leg at all, and was still the favourite to win the Belmont. So while I don't like horse racing myself, I'm proud that he chose to not place his horse or jockey at any risk of injury, just to try for the win.

Fast forward 4 years and my cousin has another horse ("Nyquist") entered to run in the Derby on Saturday. His intuition about choosing thoroughbreds has given him another good chance of winning. So once again, I'm feeling really conflicted, because I'll be very happy for my cousin personally, if his horse and jockey win the Derby, but saddened that horse racing, still indeed, continues.

Comments (37)