SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
proserpina_gw

Bio-Moms

proserpina
17 years ago

Ladies and gentlemen, I come to you asking for your support and advice. While the situation at home is something I think I have a strong hold on, my relationship with the children's mother seems to be the one aspect of my step-situation I can't seem to improve.

I wrote her a card welcoming any type of dialogue when she first found out that her ex had a new girlfriend.

I greet her and am cordial when I see her.

I have e-mailed her information my husband didn't e-mail her.

I adore the children, and do everything I can to be supportive.

I read books on communicating with former spouses, being a step-mom, blended families...you name it!

I have gone to therapy to talk exactly about strategies to improve the situation....

....but none of it seems to work. She takes offense to anything I say or do. She will start fights any which time she can (I don't engage when the kids are present). She is unwilling to communicate with me directly now, and attacks my husband when I don't give her a direct target.

I met the children's father after their relationship had come to an end, so there shouldn't be any anger there, meaning I didn't break up their relationship. She also has moved on and lives with her companion (and is a step mother to his two children).

Bio parents, what gives? Where does the animosity come from? What ideas do you have to make this situation get better? Step-parents, how have you overcome hurdles with the children's mother?

If it was just between me and her, I could just avoid and dodge, take the high road, protect my own when conflicts arise... But now the children are beginning to disrespect me when their mother is around. If they see that behavior coming from their mother, why should they behave any differently?

Would love to hear what you have to say. I am stumped!!!

Comments (11)