SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdden

step kids/ex wives/babysitters oh my!

kdden
21 years ago

Hi, I'm new. Sorry if this is a long message, I don't even know where to start......

My dh & I have been together for 5 years now-I moved in after 7 months of dating and last year we got married. He has 2 daughters, they are now 10 & 9. I love them very much and try to do the best that I can for them. We have had our differences in the past, but live through them and they do tell me that they are glad that I am around. They have always fought quite a bit, but in the last year things have gotten worse. They resort to physical violence-even though at our home they are punished for this behavior. Well last night I had a conversation with the after school babysitter. There was an altercation yesterday, she said that she is thinking of giving up babysitting due to the actions of my sds and another girl she minds. Things are getting broken in her home and it is causing tension between her and her husband. I spoke to dh regarding this and he talked to ex. (she called looking for cs anyway.) I was very proud of him as usually conversations between the two of them escalate to shouting matches, but not last night he kept calm. Just told her he would like to get the girls in councelling..she said that she already has them signed up for Jan 03...he told her that he is concerned that it shouldn't wait that long.

I just always feel that we live in a double standard. We had the children two evenings a week plus every other weekend. We asked to trade Tues for Wed, after a fight she agreed. She goes to school Wed night and we felt so she would get the quality time with the children it made sense. However the next night there is a message telling us how she had to console the youngest as she is upset over not going to her aunt's on Wed-so we told her to forget us taking them Wed-but that if she wanted she could keep Tues as the children have expressed to us that they feel they are not spending enough time with mom-10 year old said that they are always with babysitters. She grounded them from registered programs last night because of the altercation, but had said that we aren't allowed to use the progeams as punishment/reward for good/bad behaviour. Her response when asked "The time you did it you were only punishing one child-I am justified because I am punishing both". Then dh asked how would it make her feel if he talked to the girls and offered for them to stay at our house because she was punishing them. Early this year we punished the youngest and she called mom to pick her up and take her away from dads. We let her call cause it was agreed two years ago that we would uphold her punishment and her ours, but she came and picked youngest up. She says she was justified in picking sd up just cause dh let her call.

There is just no winning-she said during the conversation last night that we blaime her for everything. I am not trying to say I have been perfect, but I have tried to be the nutral figure in this. When we started dating dh would say bad things about sds mom in front of sds, he no longer does that. A month ago we were shopping and dh saw sds & mom-he asked if the girls could come with him to say hi to me-she said no they are not allowed to leave her. Our next night with them sds said they were sorry for not coming to say hi-I told them that I understood and that no apology was necessary. I regularly tell the girls when they ask why mom & dad can't get along (which they do ask on some of those past occasions when shouting matched have occured) that it is just cause mom & dad both love them very much, but don't always agree on how they should be raised.

I am considering suggesting joint councelling for all 5 parties. I don't know how this will go over, I don't even know if it will help. BM just seems so angry about everything, not just dealing with dh & I, but everything in life. Not that this matters, but she was the one whom ended the marriage. She walked out not once, but twice-to move in with another guy. The two of them split up last year-he moved out the same week dh & I got married.

I noticed some posts from grown up step children-please any advice? Did you feel that you just wanted step parents to stay out of your life or do you want their involvement? My sds say they want me invovled. We have asked for them to spend equal time at both households as dad wants to be involved, but bm says that sds tell her they don't want to hurt dad's feelings but they don't want to spend any extra time with us, they would rather be with bm. I just don't know what to do/not do-somedays I just wish when I met him that I had of ran! It is so hard to have something be such a large part of your life, but feel like you have absolutely no control....

Comments (3)