SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doodleboo_gw

Stokholm Syndrome spin off

doodleboo
15 years ago

I didn't want to totally highjack Ashleys post so I am posting a new thread. The comment was made that the case of a Mother abusing or killing children was a rare thing....I disagreed.

It was then brought up that even if it is not rare it is more likely for a step parent to beat/murder a step child than a bioparent to beat/murder a step child. Again I disagree. A Step Parent can leave while a parent has a moral obligation to stick around which makes it more difficult for a bio parent to walk away from child stress. They are "sentenced to deal" so to speak which I believe makes them more likely to take drastic measures in moments of mental collapse. This is an article I found. I don't know if the link is attached or not. I had to save it to Word so we will see what pops up when I cut and paste.

Despite many empirical studies of children killed by parents, there has been little theoretical progress. An examination of 378 cases in a national register revealed that circumstances differed for genetic parents versus stepparents. Infants were at greatest risk of filicide, especially by genetic mothers. Genetic mothers who killed offspring, especially older children, disproportionately had a mental illness and received relatively short sentences, if convicted. Filicides by genetic fathers were disproportionately accompanied by marital discord, suicide, and uxoricide. Filicides by stepparents were disproportionately common and likely to involve ongoing abuse and death by beating. Moreover, if parents also had genetic offspring, their stepchildren were at increased risk of ongoing abuse and neglect prior to death. Poor child health appeared to increase the risk of filicide by genetic mothers, especially as remaining opportunities for childbearing diminished. Although each finding might be consistent with existing lay accounts of filicide (depression, socioeconomic stress, etc.), together, they yielded a pattern uniquely consistent with selectionist accounts based mainly on parental investment theory.

Copyright 2003 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Feedback : About Article Finder : Help

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio