SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kindell_gw

Wrong land! need help. (cont)

kindell
13 years ago

Our forum is full, so I am making a new one....

Just to set the record straight, we did not have a plat map or a "copy of the original subdivision survey." When we decided to purchase property and build, we spoke with a Realtor, a bank, and a builder. We did everything they told us to do and not to do. We have never purchased property or built a house, so we relied on the professionals to help lead us. Its not like we called the land owner and did everything on our own, so to say this is our fault is just silly. No we did not get a real estate attorney because we got a Realtor. We did not know we would need an attorney to buy land. Knowing what we know now, I donÂt really even know why you need a Realtor, because really you only need an attorney. The reason we have a Houston Attorney is because the county we live in is the "good ole boy" system. There are some very influential people in this law suit, and every attorney we talked to in town was associated with one or more of the parties. We had to go out of the county to get a nonbiased attorney. Oh and not only did we go to Houston for an attorney, but the land owners attorney is out of Houston as well as one of the insurance companies attorney. As far as the land owners being at fault, I donÂt know why everyone keeps bringing this up. Some of their actions, after the fact, we did not like (like hysterically laughing when we had to call them and tell them our house was built on the wrong land) but no it was not their fault. Because they owned the land they had to be included in the law suit, thatÂs just how it works, not because they were at fault. If I have missed a question, feel free to ask again and I will be happy to answer.

And to Sandy808, this might be just a house to you, but itÂs not to us. And to ASSURE you, I do not feel sorry for myself, but to my 7 children. Here is a little history for you. In November of 2003, while my fiancé Andy was in Korea, his 4 children were abandon by their mother and left with their grandparents. Then in May of 2007 my 3 childrenÂs father was killed in Iraq and our whole family had to deal with that. When we searched for land and designed the house we did this as a family. This was something for the family to get excited for and look forward to. Every kid picked their paint colors out, where there rooms were going to be, and we even went out there and started building a tree house. These kids were there every day watching the progress on the house, having campfires, exploring the cave, they had even decided where to place the flag in memory of their dad and talked about making a pond for his turtle, playing hide and seek in the empty house, we even had a slumber party out there together. This was everything to them and something they could get excited about and look forward to, only to once again be let down. So no, this isnÂt about me or feeling sorry for me, but for my kids. We have now gotten them excited about searching for another house, but for over a year they were put on hold wondering what would happen.

To dixiedoodle, I am glad that your husband is so hard working, thatÂs great, but as far as the insurance companies go, their tactic is to run us out of money. I donÂt know what type of attorney your husband is, but insurance companies want you to settle for nothing thatÂs how they stay in business, and they will do everything to wear you down. I have also worked in the legal profession and I can tell you there are a lot of dodgy attorneys out there. If you donÂt see that you are blind. As far as how much we have paid our attorney, we knew what the hourly rate was when we hired him, we just didnÂt know it would take this long, but I donÂt blame him for that. I did not blame the attorneys for "the crap situation that she and her family allowed themselves to fall into because of their own lack of due diligence prior to their land purchase." But it is quite obvious you havenÂt spoken to your attorney husband on the issue or I am sure he would tell you that your comment is nonsense and not even worth commenting on.

-Kindell

Comments (19)