SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof5angels

BM says Obama is the anti-Christ

momof5angels
15 years ago

That is among the numerous complete idiocracies that BM has informed my stepchildren of...I would like to know what you would say in these types of situations.

Now, I am an Obama supporter (but was originally a Hillary supporter.) I do not dislike McCain...I just feel more in connection with Obama and therefore will vote for him. I will not tell any of my kids outrageous propagandas to get them to agree with me however.

My SD told me yesterday that she is afraid to like Obama because her mom said that Obama was a Muslim and if you vote for Obama you might as well be voting for Osama bin Laden. She also told her that Obama himself is the anti-Christ. Trust me on this...BM is not a very intelligent person. She probably couldn't tell you 3 things about either of these candidate's platforms. She is just spewing off at the mouth within insane statements that are just idiotic on every level.

What do you say when a child tells you something like this? Honestly...? It puts me in mind of another recent situation where BM told SD13 that I am engaging in witchcraft because I had a hypnosis CD that is supposed to aid in quitting smoking. SD13 told her BM that I had this and said that BM may want to try it and BM told her "No way! What she is practicing is witchcraft...hypnosis is a form of witchcraft!" What??? Mind you, I never even listened to the CD. I just found it at a yard sale for a buck and thought "What the heck...? Maybe it would help..." But still. Hypnosis is witchcraft? I had 2 years of psychology and at no point did they inform me of this "dark side" of hypnosis...I happen to be educated enough to know that it is not witchcraft...so what do you say to a SD who tells you something like this? "Well, SD...your Mom is very ignorant..." Nope...can't say that! That's definitely not a good thing to say.

So what would YOU say?

Comments (39)

• june0000
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd probably say nothing if you don't want an out-and-out war with the bio mom. Most wars in the history of the world have been started either because of religious differences or because of political differences.

Your SD will eventually come to her own conclusions about what she believes to be true as she becomes better educated and grows into an adult. Perhaps even sooner.

• finedreams
    15 years ago

Oh my...

My SIL's mother made an announcement at a holiday table once that Jews eat Christian babies blood. Mind you we are Jewish. She of course is not. me and my mom almost fell of our chairs. People are ignorant. there were children at the table! I did say: No, it is not so. it is a stereotype and a rumor spread around to enhance hatred toward Jwes. She attempted to argue but then said Oh maybe you are right.

In any case i would tell SDs no hypnosis is not witchcraft, Obama is Christian and not antiChrist. You don't need to put Bm down but you should say: No, it is not so. You don't want to raise ignorant SKs, right. Even if their BM is that plain stupid, it does not mean kids have to follow her footsteps.

eevn if SKs say: but BM said so. You can still add: It is just not so.

• Related Discussions

Where Is Butch?

Q

Comments (24)
    Thank you McT! I agree that if those who presume to represent what we, as Christians, believe deliberately misprepresent Him (and us), their errors should be made known. I know, that I am on dangerous ground here, but I feel this recent video (#6) is putting me in a position to defend myself, since earlier I was accused of intentionally trying to deceive you all, rather than making a joke that would be very quickly seen to be *my kind of humor*, and that my 'Christianity' was somehow inconsistent with my 'joke', and by inference, suggesting I am hypocritical for doing that! That was really hurtful to me, btw, so if that was the intention, it succeeded! What REALLY is saddening me, though, is that there are those who do not understand, that just because someone attends a church,(or preaches in it) it doesn't make them a 'Christian' any more than "walking into a garage makes someone a car", (a saying I am quite familiar with and was reminded of by a forum poster, privately, not long ago), BUT, we ARE all lumped together as though we're ALL guilty when one (or even many) fails to live out the truth of the Gospel, whether by personal failure or because they are not the *real deal*, or because they hope to damage the reputation of the whole body of believers and also, cause many to question the goodness, love and truth of God! We're warned that this happens, as Jesus describes in a parable, 'wheat and tares' in the field of this earth, (known as 'church'). Tares are a weed and the seed of it are sown into the farmer's field of wheat, by his enemy. It looks absolutely identical to the wheat, in the beginning, all the way up to the *day of harvest*. The purpose of sowing in the tares (unbelievers posing as believers) is to choke out the wheat making the farmer's harvest much less plentiful than he first believed. We are told not to try and pull out the 'tares' because in the process we might uproot some of the wheat, (the real believers) but that in the day of the *harvest* (Judgment) the 'tares' will be identified and dealt with appropriately! So this explains why some look like the real deal but aren't, but God knows the heart of us all and only He can truly judge that, in anyone! And, it's certainly not my job to do that, either! So--where am I in the whole scheme of things as a 'believer' or a 'Christian'? I believe in the truthfulness of all things taught by Jesus! I believe He truly is the Son of God, and as such, He came to die for my sins and the sins of all who recognize Him as Savior and ask Him to forgive them for their sinfulness and save them from the penalty that is the eternal consequence of sin. I believe He died, and was buried for 3 days and rose again and ultimately ascended to heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father, in His rightful position--always confirming and affirming to the Father, that we who have come to believe are rightfully His--always ready to hear our prayers and answer them in the way that is always best, for His ultimate plan! And, I believe He is coming back, again! I am not a 'cafeteria style' believer in the Bible--I believe it all! I am not looking to open up further dialog that is not permissable on this forum, about my faith, but, feel free to email me if it's important enough to you to question me about what I believe, any further! It's just that simple and it's that deep! So--I'm done defending what I believe and who I am as a 'Conservative Christian, making no apologies for what I believe but hoping that many will understand what it is I am, as a 'believer', NOT a 'Self-rightous White Right', and certainly NOT perfect, since I find that I fail to live out what I know is right, more often than I like, but definitely forgiven and therefore legitimate 'wheat' in the field! Oh, and my point about the posting of that man's rant is that it is only gaining him the additional attention he is obviously seeking and that it stirs up more hatred for those of us who truly are not in 'his camp' if what he says is any representation of what he believes. So, if this thread is pulled and I am no longer permitted to be a part of the GardenWeb community, for what I have felt I had to explain, then I wish you all God's best and I hope to see each of you, one day, in His great Garden above!
    ...See More

Good comeback as an Agnostic?

Q

Comments (34)
    I don't communicate with my own sister because she would not stop trying to save my sole by sending me religious stuff. I asked her to stop she ignored me. When I finally got through to her, stopped, then started send it to my husband by US mail. She told me once she was afraid she would be in heaven with none of our family there. If anyone should ask me about my religous beliefs I would say, "that's between me and God". If they don't shut up I would turn my back and walk away unless we were in my home.
    ...See More

Shopping at Target every day this week, anyone else?

Q

Comments (307)
    I still maintain that all these "laws" are a backlash to legislation passed by several states (including mine) which allow anyone to claim they are a transgendered person and then to use the bathroom or locker room they prefer, because of how they "feel" inside. I have no fear of transgendered individuals and as it has been pointed out, there have probably been times when I've shared a bathroom with people who are trans - the statistics are quite low, but I live in a community quite accepting to LGBT people and I believe there is a larger than average community here. My objection is to the open ended type of laws that would allow any man with perverted/voyeuristic purposes to be allowed access into women's facilities - simply by saying he "feels" like a woman inside. The laws, as written, provide no protection from that type of behavior. Of course, anything already illegal, like assault, is still illegal but hanging out to get an eyeful (how do you prove voyeurism in a case like this), or maybe even exposing himself is going to be much more difficult to prosecute, thus prevent. I've said before, I don't have a solution. Everyone should have the right to relieve themselves, but laws which inadvertently (because of their wording) allow any man into women's facilities, simply on their own word that they feel female inside is not the right way to go about providing a safe for all solution.
    ...See More

Your opinion: meryll streeps speech at the Golden Globes tonight

Q

Comments (137)
    Yes - I also thought that 'open letter' (that someone posted in full further up the thread, I think - the link in DrewM's post above didn't work when I tried it) was either extremely self-centred, or the author was ignorant of the purpose of an awards ceremony and mistakenly thought it was just another show put on solely for public entertainment. In fact it's a professional/industry awards night for showbiz people along with the Press, who sponsor the event. The high level of public interest is the only reason they now broadcast it, so the public can get to see what goes on, and no doubt the sponsors get a nice bit of revenue from it. But even though some adaptations are naturally made to cater for the TV cameras and the wider audience, viewers should not expect or demand that the whole, essentially private event be repurposed into something it's not. Recipients of lifetime achievement awards are generally given a bit more time and leeway to say whatever they like in their acceptance speeches than are other lesser award winners, in keeping with it being the highest honour of the night. If one such honoured recipient chooses to use their speech to draw attention to a recent notorious and very unwelcome performance from a different kind of actor, and to appeal to the Press to continue to do their job despite the current campaign of intimidation/attempted suppression against them, to vigorously defend the rights and dignity of those many professionals in the industry who would fall into the unwanted/ scapegoated groups the PE has chosen to stir up and magnify a dark seam of xenophobic anger and hate against - that is a somewhat unusual, but topical and entirely industry-relevant use of that platform. As VedaB said, if members of the general public happen to find this not entertaining enough and/or offensive in some way and/or don't understand its relevance, that's fine - it's not their industry's awards night anyway, and they don't have to watch!
    ...See More
  • kathline
    15 years ago

My ex thinks obama is the antichrist too. :)

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

Obviously it's a delicate situation because it's the child's own mother saying these things, which very much are at odds with what you believe. You want to respect BM's right to impart her beliefs to her child as she sees fit as her mother, but at the same time you have genuine concerns about how informed (or not) those beliefs are and the effect they may have on SD, which you also have a right to have. You also don't want to step on BM's toes or get into a 'culture war' with her. If it was me, I'd pretty much defer to a neutral third party so that the heat wasn't on me personally (or I wasn't risking being labelled "Evil Consort of The Antichrist" myself). The next time SD repeats a sattement along those lines, I would ask "What do your teachers say about this? Teachers are very smart and know a lot of things. Why don't you ask them to explain a little bit more about this very important topic." Overall, I would encourage education in general, as well as encouraging her to get several different opinions on a subject and to make up her own mind about which she chooses to believe.

• junegemstar
    15 years ago

That is disgusting. I don't have anything to suggest, but it's sad when ignorance is passed down generation to generation.
    My dad, who is an accountant and very book-smart, used to be a real racist and would try to pass his beliefs down to my sister and I. (Luckily he's gotten better over the years) My mom is the most tolerant person I know, so imagine the arguments I'd hear. We are black, Puerto Rican and West Indian mix. My dad would hate it if we bought our white friends home, he'd try to convince us that they weren't really our friends and that they were "devils".
    That never worked on us. My best friend is Italian, we were roommates in college for 2 years, she was my maid of honor at my wedding, and I was the same at her wedding. I have other friends that cover every spectrum of the rainbow. I'm glad I never bought into the ignorance, otherwise I would have missed out on some very awesome people.

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

...But I also agree with FD that certain statements call for direct and immediate correction. In FD's case, she *IS* Jewish herself and so was even more justified to stop the hate speech directly in in its tracks because she could say "I AM Jewish, so I would know what we do or don't do, thank you very much." The "Antichrist" thing is a bit trickier because it's inherently unprovable and harder to dispute with cold hard facts (as opposed to what Jewish people do and don't do), and since you aren't the person being directly attacked, and you aren't (I'm guessing) a Muslim, and you aren't (I'm guessing) whatever sect BM is, then she would argue that you're not in a position to "know" as well as she does about those things she speaks of. So its iffier and you're a lot more prone to a battle there. But anyway, I agree that when the comments reach a certain level of destructive ignorance or even hate and YOU or people close to you are the target, then you have to nip it in the bud right then and there.

OR you could just start laughing up a storm, which is another powerful way to counteract ignorance. FD's story reminded me of what I heard happened at my cousin's funeral a few months back (I was not able to attend it myself). When he was alive, he was pretty good buddies with this pastor guy, and so he had decided that he could trust this guy to conduct the services at his funeral when he passed away in a respectful manner. So, because my cousin was Jewish, the majority of people at the funeral were Jewish family memebers and friends. And then the pastor starts talking about how he my cousin was a great guy and everything but Jews are going to burn in hell, and he was in no way joking around. He said this AT MY COUSIN'S FUNERAL so that everyone had to have the image in their head of my cousin having just died and now swiftly on his way to burn for eternity in Hades. I asked my mom, who was there, 'Oh my Gawd, Mom, what did everybody do?!!!?" and started going on about how if I was there I would have immediately marched up to the pulpit and grabbed the mic out of his hand, blah blah blah. My mom started to answer "Well, at first everyone was totally silent, because I guess everyone was just completely stunned..." And I'm thinking "Oh no! They can't just sit back and let him say that!". Then my mom said: "...But after the pastor said, literally, that they would be 'TOAST', everyone just spontaneously burst into howling belly laughs and just couldn't stop laughing." And I thought: "WOW. Now THAT may be the best way of all to handle something like that." I really wish I could have been there.

• silversword
    15 years ago

Serenity,
    Two excellent suggestions! Laugh, or pass it off on the third-party neutral teachers.

There really is no way to argue your way out of her ill logic.

I can understand the frustration. I have a complaint that is very minor comparatively, but is still frustrating. My mother would always tell my daughter that some places were really bad, like McDonalds. Well, she was good the other day, and she'd been wanting french fries, so I pulled into the McDonalds. My daughter said, Grandma X says McDonalds has really bad fries. They're not good at all. I explained that they're worse for you than In and Out fries, but McDonalds fries are some of the best tasting. She told me, that's not what Grandma said! Well, I know this is petty, but my mother acts like her opinion is the only one that matters. I turned around, smiled at my DD and chirped, well, sometimes Grandma's wrong. Then I turned back around. Silence. When we got home, DD said to DH, we got FF's at McD. And you know what? Grandma was wrong they're really good.
    hahahha.

• imamommy
    15 years ago

momof5angels

I would simply say "that's your mom's opinion and she's entitled to it". You can add that you have a different opinion or leave it at that. There's no sense in arguing or debating whether the statements are true or not. Who cares if she thinks hypnosis is 'witchcraft' or not? It's very possible she made that comment, knowing you'd hear it and she might have used her child to deliver the insult/dig. Ignore it.

It's fine to correct someone that is incorrect about a 'stereotype' but then I'd evaluate the comment whether it's being said because the person is trying to insult me or if they are truly ignorant of the stereotype. It would be inappropriate in ANY setting to say what was said in FD's situation. Even if they believed that, why would they want to discuss it?

Depending on the age of the child, I might either gather information on the subject or an older child, I might suggest they research the subject themselves to form their own opinion. (or in the case of incorrect stereotypes, so they will be informed on the subject) That might teach a child to think for themselves.

• momof5angels
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laughing is exactly what I did at first. It was a laugh that did not come out on purpose...it was a quick laugh...and then I quickly composed myself and apologized. She then said that BM said Obama and Osama were related. I covered my mouth...more serious this time...and then calmly said "Well, what do YOU think?" She said "I don't know...I mean, I know he isn't the anti-Christ and I know he isn't related to Osama bin Laden...so I know the rest is probably not true either." I just said "Yeah...I would have to agree."

Differing from my opinion on who is the better candidate wouldn't be an issue to me at all...my sister is republican and has very sane and logical reasons as to why she prefers McCain to Obama. I respect her opinions completely. But to make comments like "Obama is Satan reincarnated" (yes, this was said) is just ignorance to the max. I mean, honestly. Why would one want to fill their child's head with such ignorance?

I was particularly upset that she told SD that I was practicing witchcraft though. I am a Christian. Have been a Christian since I was a teenager. For this woman to throw doubt into SD's mind about my faith was pretty crappy of her. For her to even make such a judgment call when she doesn't even know me blows me away as well. What a thing to say...

• finedreams
    15 years ago

well if a discussion was about difference in relgious beliefs it would be inappropriate to argue. but this is not about beliefs. it is about facts and not knowing the facts. Obama is not Muslim, not anti-christ, and hypnosis can be prefectly fine too. Even if their BM says otherwise it is just simply isn't so. This is not an opinion it is just ignorance. saying that Obama is no good is an opinion, that he is antichrist is ignorance. How do you think ignorant people turn out this way? Ignorant parents. so if you want kids to be ignorant then you should agree that whatever their parents say is fine. I see no point in creating perpetual ignorance.

yes some peolle believe that Jews eat Christain babies (yeap, some still do), but I don't think i should tolerate such beliefs and let young kids believe such nonsense. No point in arguing but saying what is the fact is appropriate wihout making a big deal out of it.

• finedreams
    15 years ago

In my story SIL's mother is not a mean woman, she didn't mean to offend, she is just utterly shamelessly uneducated and ignorant, she is like stone age uneducated, she knows nothing. That's why I do not think that we should ignore what our children or anyone's children hear. I doubt you want children learn all that stuff. My SIl is also very ignorant, no wonder, she took after her parents.

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

"that's your mom's opinion and she's entitled to it".

I'm with Ima on this. It is religious and political and it is her right to have her opinions even if they do sound ridiculous to others. By straight up contradicting or correcting her to SD you will cause a war. Most people do not want somebody else teaching their kids politics or religion so by engaging in this you are opening up a flood gate. Mom will get SERIOUSLY angry and defensive. Even if mom was a Scientologist (which I find totally ridiculous personally)and was telling SD the savior of humanity was coming back on a space ship I would just say exactly what IMA suggested...."that's your mom's opinion and she's entitled to it". Even if I WAS laughing at her on the inside.

Your SD will form her own opinions when she gets older. She has 5 more years before she can vote. I have some of my parents beliefs but I formed some of my own as well. I wouldn't make a huge deal out of this.

• momof5angels
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, FD, I totally agree. I mean, SD has come home with many of BM's "opinions" and I do not argue or say a word because it just simply isn't my opinion...but this is not a matter of opinion at all. It's a matter of fact. It would be like me telling my SD that the teacher she dislikes and who she feels dislikes HER is a worshiper of Satan. It simply just isn't true...

I think it would be a great idea to suggest SD asks her teacher about these topics. Especially about whether Obama is a Muslim...I should have thought about suggesting that!

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

ah yes - I've had a couple of things like this tossed at me before that mom, or often mom's mom, has said out of sheer ignorance. I always take the "Well, we are each entitled to our own opinions and have the freedom to speak them. However, I prefer to check my opinions for some fact before I spit them out so I don't have to eat my words later. How about we do a little research on the subject and see what facts we can find?" We then sit down together at the computer and search out whether 'all people who live in the country do it so they can grow drugs' or 'all beef is 50% fat'. . . you get the point. Not only does it let SD form her own opinion, it also gives her facts she found to take back to mom or grandma to refute the ridiculousness. . . . facts that she can't just way "Well, JNM said" and the war begins again . . .

• finedreams
    15 years ago

doodle there is a big difference between opinion and fact. such and such is stupid is an opinion, such and such is 6 feet tall is a fact. facts are either right or wrong.

no, you cannot rely on kids eventually forming their opinion. if you brainwash kids they will have brainwashed opinions. if you teach them wrong facts eventually they will know wrong facts. if human savior comes in on a space ship is not somehting you can prove, but the fact that Obama is not a Muslim is pretty easy to prove.

• momof5angels
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Let's add to this the fact that a lot more comes along with not verifying this statement as untrue. If I allow her to gather her own opinion as to whether Obama is or is not the anti-Christ, a lot more comes into play...like the fact that at the end of his presidency will be the end of days. 2012...isn't that what Nostradamus said? The bible said the "beast" will lead for forty and 2 months...(Actually, Revelation doesn't mention the anti-Christ at all.) It says the beast will force us to take the mark of 666...to allow her to gather her own opinions in this situation is very scary. Revelation also does not state that the anti-Christ will be a Muslim, as BM has informed SD. And again, it doesn't matter if it did say that, as Obama is NOT a Muslim.

SD is scared by all of this!!! She is afraid that Obama, a Muslim and the anti-Christ, is going to bring forth the apocalypse before it is intended. Because BM says so.

Sadly, if I am wrong and Obama IS the anti-Christ (which I don't believe to be true...but still) all of this is for naught...since the bible has already revealed this to be the way things will occur...Obama will win the election and rule. Saying "Don't vote for Obama because he is the anti-Christ" wouldn't even change what we are destined to see happen according to the word of God as written in Revelation...Of course, I would never ever say that out loud to ANY of my kids...Why fill their minds with this type of fear?

• believer
    15 years ago

If this SD is 13 I would suggest that this is the perfect opportunity to do some research on her own about the subjects mentioned and learn how to go about forming her own educated opinion.

I believe that you should let her know that although you respect other people to have the right to a different opinion other your own you don't have to respect the opinion itself.

I would want to suggest tho SD that she avoid discussing your issues with mom since they are so different and you deserve your privacy just as her mom does.

• theotherside
    15 years ago

Of course this stuff is all just opinion. A large percentage of people on this planet don't believe there is any such thing as an "anti-Christ" or an intended apocalypse.

It is difficult to grow up in the United States without being exposed to a variety of opinions, which I think is a good thing.

I didn't realize until I was an adult that a lot of parents expect their children to join whatever religion they belong to, because that certainly wasn't the pattern among my relatives.

• quirk
    15 years ago

Does BM attend a church? Does it have a sunday school, youth group, or other religious classes for children/adolescents your SDs age? Does yours? Does SD attend services or participate in either or both congregations?

Maybe you could encourage her to talk to the religious teachers/ministers/counselors/ at either or both churches to help sort out any questions she has?

• momof5angels
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do want to stress that SD does not realize how I feel about BM. She doesn't have a clue. She has often commented that she is glad that I am friends with her Mom because that isn't always the case...I prefer for her to continue to have that perception...but in this case...

I don't think I mentioned how this occurred...and to relay how this occurred is probably very important into showing how panicked I feel by it:

SD came in to my office yesterday for help with a project for her honors history class (yes, she is in all advanced classes :o) She had a project...to find 3 main differences in the current candidate's platforms and to discuss them in detail. She said "XXX, I am afraid to like Obama...Mom says he is a Muslim and because of that that he is the talked about in the bible as being the anti-Christ. My stepsister (BM's husband's daughter) is scared to death because Mom and stepdad said that if he is voted in as President that the world will end in 2012."

How do you just say "Well, that's their opinion..." That's some pretty scary stuff for a 13 year old to hear!

• imamommy
    15 years ago

Opinion vs. Fact? Who cares? Telling her that mom is wrong is going to get back to mom & cause problems. Why would it matter so much?

My mom told me, when I was about 8 years old, that the world was going to end in the year 2000. I remember calculating how old I would be. I also remember wondering if I should have any kids when I grow up because if I did, they would die before they got to grow up.... if what mom said turned out to be true. Sure, I was scared too. She's my mom & I believed her and now I can see it was so wrong for her to tell me that, even if it WERE true. As a parent, I would not want to worry my kids and give them added stress of thinking about when they are going to die. It didn't really matter that anyone else told me that's not true, and people did. But, I can guarantee that if my SM (hypothetically of course) had told me my mom was wrong (& showed me proof) and I went back & told my mom that SHE gave me proof to dispute it, that would have been the start of an all out WAR. I'd just suggest, don't go there.

As I grew up, I realized that not everything my mom said made sense or was true. I do believe she really believed that & in 1999, she stocked up so much, I think she still has cans of food to this day. In this day & age of computers and information, there's no reason a teenager can't gather the information on their own educate themselves. There is plenty of information on Obama, hypnosis, etc. Then she/he will have independent facts from a source that isn't dad's wife. They can share their information with the parent, although it may not always help. My mom believed the world was going to end, right up until that date passed. I can't bring myself to ask her what she thinks now. It doesn't matter. I've grown up & formed my own ideas on if/when the world will end, I have my own opinions on religion, politics, etc.

If SD is scared by what her mom says, that's really too bad for her. I think the mom is putting undue stress on a child she is supposed to love and protect. Scaring her causes fear, which I think can be harmful. But, she is the child's mother and has a right to share her beliefs with her children, even if they are wrong. Dad also has a right to share his beliefs... and I'd even say a stepparent has the right to share his/her beliefs. Beyond sharing beliefs, it should be up to the child to choose what they want to believe. (in other words, it's wrong for anyone to tell a child "you have to believe what I'm telling you!")

Suggesting that they research it and educate themselves however, is empowering them to learn how to learn, instead of accepting just what they hear or are told.

• imamommy
    15 years ago

"How do you just say "Well, that's their opinion..." That's some pretty scary stuff for a 13 year old to hear!"

Right now, there are plenty of resources online & in libraries about the candidates, their biographies, etc. and she is old enough to read whether he is Muslim or not. There are also many different religions and information on religious beliefs that can be studied too.

• believer
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness!!!!....If BM is a Christian then she should know better than to state that the world will end!!!!! That is a fanatical point of view and soooooooo false. No one knows that. Your SD is young and the points of few that she has are greatly influenced by the important adults around her. The important thing is to encourage her to find the facts, which it sounds like the assignment is all about. It isn't about opinions.

She may feel that she cannot disagree with her mom. My mom was so overbearing that I was afraid to ever disagree with her so I just adopted her attitudes as a means of survival.
    Her mom may be such that she doesn't allow her daughter to express an opposing point of view comfortably.

Again, I encourage you to encourage your DS to research all of this and find facts, not opinions, to base her final judgements on. Her opinions are going to change as she matures and goes through different life experiences which help to form her ideologies.

The end of the world in 2012 if Obama is elected!!!! Even I don't buy that.....Are we in the end times? Now that is another question entirely and another forum. :O)

• quirk
    15 years ago

Don't know how old you are, but when I was your SDs age (and younger), the world was going to end at any time, probably without notice, because the USA and the USSR were going to get into WWIII nuclear holocaust and kill everything but the cockroaches. A LOT of people believed it would happen, and the reality is it *could* have (ok, the everything-dead-but-cockroaches part was probably an exaggeration). It might not be exactly Revelations-end-of-world, but for all intents and purposes, still the end of any world or society we lived in. And ALL adults took it seriously, to some extent or another. Politicians went on TV and gave speeches about how we had to fund missile programs or hold arms-control talks in order to prevent it from happening. All the same kind of talk we have now about the best way to protect us from terrorists and another 9/11, back then (wait, when did I get old enough to say back then...?) it was about the best way to prevent the end of the world.

Don't know that there's any advice there, maybe just some reassurance that we all lived through it just fine, and I'm sure your SD will too, even if she does have to worry about the end of the world for a little while. (and in case that comes across as flippant, I don't mean it that way at all)

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

Too bad it isn't the reverse and that ONLY the cockroaches die in the nuclear holocaust/apolcalypse. (I HATE cockroaches, ick!!!)

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

Wow...I'm surprised so many bio parents here are OK with a step telling a kid her moms religious and political beliefs are wrong. Normally the step would be getting tore apart. I have to wonder if it was the step for McCain trying to convince the SD that Obama was the anti christ (or whatever ridiculousness)if so many would still agree?

We all tend to sway to the side our loyalties pull one way or the other. I guess political party loyalties over rules step or bio loyalties...hahahahaha. How fickle we can be.

• finedreams
    15 years ago

thi is not religious opinion, he is just not Muslim. is her relgious belief tells her that Obama is Muslim? what religious belief is that? lol This not loyalty, he just isn't Muslim, he is Christian. It is not an opinion that he practices Christianity, it si fact. too funny how people see no difference.

• momof5angels
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are differences in our religious beliefs that I do not share with the stepkids. For example, one weekend a few months ago the steps came home and said they were all baptized in a lake that day and were now members of BM's church. We asked them what the baptism meant to them and they weren't really sure...just that BM told them they were getting baptized that day.

As a part of my religion, you are typically baptized after you have accepted Christ as your savior. I didn't say "But your Mom had you get baptized BEFORE you were SAVED?" I didn't say a word negatively at all...in fact, we didn't say anything to BM either because there simply is no talking to her. If DH asked her about this she would just tell him 'BECAUSE I WANTED THEM TO DO IT...THAT'S WHY!' And to be honest, she would probably have them baptized again the next visit out of spite.

A few months after the baptism, we attended a youth rally and at the end of the youth rally, they had an invitation. SD said "I would do that but I've already been dunked under water." I said nothing at all but later talked to DH. He spoke with her and told her that he wanted to explain the invitation that was held at the youth rally. He then explained his salvation to her, being careful not to lessen the importance of her baptism at her Mom's church. I also shared my testimony with her. After hearing our stories, she wondered why BM had her get baptized if she hadn't accepted Christ as her savior...DH immediately told her that different churches and religions see this process differently and that's not to say that either were wrong.

If DH were to have this talk with BM, I can assure you that the kids would come home born again Christians by the end of this weekend whether they were ready for it or not...she is like that...

My point is, when it comes to religious beliefs and practices we do not try to step on toes or undermine BM in any way...but this isn't a religious matter, in my opinion.

BM has taken a combination of several different sources (the Mayan calendar, Nostradamus' predictions and the holy bible) and combined them with complete and total untruths to come up with this idea that Obama is the anti-Christ and if he wins, the world will end in 4 years...and claims that her only source of this information is the bible which is just not true. If in fact, her only source WAS the bible, I would have to digress. But it's just not so. If BM told her that Obama killed a man for drugs that would be a lie...which is why this was a bit disturbing because this whole ordeal is just as untrue as the drug statement.

It's a little more difficult because it does involve politics and religion...but when you get down the nitty gritty of it---it's not a religious conclusion. It is a misinformed conclusion.

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

.....that this isn't a religious matter. I KNOW Obama states he is Chrisitian but even so it may STILL be BM's religious belief that he is the Anti-Christ. There are ALOT of hellfire and brimstone types that think there is an anti-christ born every three years. I live in the south...alot of folks here still believe that.

Anytime religion gets brought up AT ALL it becomes a religious issue, whether the you think it's relevent or not is beside the point. That mom is going to stand FIRM that it is a religious issue and it is her religious view point Obama is the anti-christ. In her mind it is very much so a religious issue. Does it make it any less fanatical? Nope, but it IS a religious viewpoint.

Do I believe there will be an Anti-christ? Yes. The bible states it loud and clear and if you are a believer you believe there will be one. Do I think Obama is the guy? No. I think it will be someone no one expects that is more low key. Do I think the anti-christ will claim to be a christian? Very likely considering Hitler did just that.

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

I do think BM is a zelot, please don't get me wrong. I still think it is, in her brain, a religious and political issue. I'm not agreeing her viewpoints because I know them to be wrong. I just think there will be no convincing her otherwise because she is IN FACT a zelot.

Choose your battles I guess is what I'm trying to say.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Ever notice the folks who claim Obama is a Muslim are the same folks who are up in arms about his longtime membership in Rev. Wright's church.

• athlete2010
    15 years ago

Hi momof5angels,

What does the dad have to say about all this? Does he agree with the bio mom, you, or is he indifferent?

I'm a dad and a stepdad. I would not like someone telling my child that Obama was the anti-Crist or a Muslim. It is factually incorrect. If the dad in your case does not agree with his ex-wife, then he needs to step up and tell his daughter the truth. He can do this in a respectful and responsible way.

It's important for the daughter that one of her bio parents will stand up for the truth here. Otherwise, she will lose respect for both of them when she does her own research.

I think that it's wrong to try and put undue political influence on a child. My wife and I try and present both sides of an issue and we encourage our younger child to think for herself with facts and reason. It's important that she make informed choices in life. Her friends will respect her more for it.

Athlete

• kkny
    15 years ago

I agree with "thats your moms opinion and she is entitled to it"

I also think religion (along with college, etc etc) should be addressed in custody/visition, etc agreements. Why do I think my agreement is longer than most???

• believer
    15 years ago

The Bible predicts that the anti Christ will come from a revived European Union. At some point 10 leaders are suppose to run the European Union, making it easier to streamline the decision making process. Some say that the current timeline and the prophetic timeline are about to join up with one another. The anti Christ is suppose to be one of these guys. He is suppose to be able to bring peace to the world when all other efforts have failed. He is suppose to be the one that gets Israel to sign a seven year peace treaty with Russia. At that time some believe that a Rapture of the Church will happen and true believers will meet Christ in the sky and be taken to Heaven. The remaining population will endure seven years of tribulation.

Obama isn't the anti Christ but he may play into the anti Christ's hands. Certainly if you believe in the Bible who ever is elected will be a very important part of the changes that will take place should we be that close to the return of Christ.

Of course if you don't believe in the Bible and the Book of Revelations it shouldn't matter to you and if you do believe in it you shouldn't worry.

It is obvious to some that Christian's are becoming increasingly discriminated against which is supposed to be one of the events as we near the end times. But anyway....Obama is not THE anti Christ. BM is ill informed if she claims to be a Bible believing Christian. Where her belief system originates is not quite clear.

• momof5angels
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Athlete,

When I told my DH about SD's statement, he shook his head in disbelief. He was shocked...but explained that before meeting me and during the 12 years he spent married to BM, they did not have a political bone in their bodies...He simply said "It is just ignorance. He is not a Muslim. That's a fact...why would her mom tell her that?" Well, of course, I don't know why BM does a lot of what she does...

The day after writing this topic, it became a non-issue in our home...the class project sparked a discussion in her history class during which time SD mentioned to her teacher what she had heard. Her history teacher, a teacher that she admires more than any teacher she has ever had, addressed the concerns about Obama being a Muslim. He informed her that regardless of whether he personally supported Obama or not, the fact is that Obama is NOT a Muslim. BM's statement that he was the anti-Christ rested almost solely on this idea that he was Muslim and "it is supposed to be a Muslim that is to become the anti-Christ." Talking to her more on this became unnecessary at this point...as she has now brushed it off as BM not being well informed...and not by my saying so at all, thank goodness.

BM is obviously a McCain supporter and I respect that. Aside from all of this "Muslim or not" nonsense, I truly do respect McCain as a true American hero. I do hope that this week, as she has my stepchildren for fall break, she sticks to the facts when discussing politics with them. SD had the kids during the 1st presidential debate, during which time SD said BM was shouting at the screen for Obama to go back to Iraq and put a towel on his head...Goodness gracious....of course, my personal response when I hear this stuff is to just cover my mouth and smile (or giggle for a moment.) Sometimes there are just no words. And other times, words are just unnecessary.

• finedreams
    15 years ago

oh now believer says Christians are discriminated against. lol where? this is too funny

haha BM said Obama should go back to Iraq. hahah

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

And another important point is that even if Obama WERE a Muslim, there is nothing *inherently* wrong with that. Despite what some may say or want to think, America does NOT have an "official" religion; if it did, it would be more obvious why a Muslim president would be an illogical and unaccepted choice for president. But the fact that America doesn't have any ONE official religion (and in fact was founded in very large part precisely to be a place where many different religions would be free to practice equally) means that, really, a peson of any faith (or non-faith) is eligible. You might as well say we shouldn't have a Jewish president or a Catholic president or an Evangelical president or a Greek Orthodox president. [Note: we've already had two of those as presidents, and have already had candidates from the other two.] I mean, sure, I can see where because America is currently at war with a nation where Islam happens to be the official religion that it would make many people nervous and uncomfortable if Obama were Muslim and *right now* it may strike many as impolitic. But just like with any religion or philosophy, there are many different sects. The vast majority of Muslims are NOT terrorists and would never approve of violent actions. If anyone wants to look into the pages of any religious text and scour every word for their most literal and grandiose phraseology, you will find examples of passages and doctrine which seem to extol violence, whether it's the extreme perpetual violence of the "hellfire and brimstone" advocated for non-believers of Christianity or the jihad "holy war" advocated for non-believers of Islam, or the carnal "eye for an eye" justice advocated in old-school Jewish law for those deemed to have somehow 'transgressed'. And then there are the Crusades, the Inquisition, the current situation between Israel and Palestine, and America's current equation of "Muslim" or "Arab" with the concepts of 'terrorism" and "evil". The potential exists from any of these perspectives for some zealot nut to take it to the most extreme, literal, violent levels. We have seen it happen in history many times over, from many different nations/religions. Extreme, extreme fundamentalist factions of ANY religion tend to be the ones with the wacky, bloodthirsty, murderous ideas, but even with all the violence that has already been commited in the name of religion, that still represents the actions of a very few extremist nuts starting these wars. There have only ever been in history a relatively small number of terrorist acts, but think about the billions and billions of peaceful, non-violent believers of any faith (or non-faith). The vast majority of adherents to any religion or philosophy are not "threats".

If I was Obama *OR* McCain, I would take this most recent round of disturbing disinformation like the statement by the BM in Momof5angels' situation as the perfect opportunity to educate people about important distinctions and differences between exactly who is a "terrorist" threat and who isn't. Of course, neither will do that, though, b/c there is too much politically at stake for both of them.

I will say, btw, that I admire McCain's recent action of taking the opportunity to correct a couple of people on the spot about their misperceptions. I don't know whether that was staged or not, but nonetheless the end result was an admirable action and it was important to do it.

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

"I agree with "thats your moms opinion and she is entitled to it"

I'm still sticking to that as well KKNY. I think it's the best way to go when the subject of religion and politics comes up. It's letting the child know you don't agree but at the same time not going toe to toe with the parent. I don't think the child will be no more scared to find out mom was wrong about Obama than she was when she found out she had been lied to about the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. Why start the war?

• imamommy
    15 years ago

This morning I open my emailed digest of court cases & found this article on "Obama's a Muslim" and it made me think of this thread.... maybe BM heard this rumor & that's why she said that?

Here is a link that might be useful: Obama's a Muslim rumor

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living