SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer25_gw

The In-laws are back

Jennifer25
20 years ago

Hey Everyone!

Since it's been so quiet, I thought I would rise from the dead the IN-LAW RANT!

They're backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! UGH!

They've been here since Tuesday the 30th. I'm about to kill myself. Too long of a visit for us...probably not the best thing to do in the future. The purpose of the visit was to travel to my family so they could all meet. It went rather well. My Mom is always a gracious host. She wasn't necessarily crazy about my Mother in law to be....but she put on a happy face and went with it. Anyway, I was miserable. No matter how hard I try I just can't like them. They really annoy me....I can't stand them... D really can't stand them either.. I just don't know what to do to make it better. Part of it is that although we came to terms on some things last visit, I still haven't managed to get over the things that MIL has done and said. She still insists on keeping a line open to the ex. The week before they got here his Dad sent a bunch of clipped articles in the mail (he always does this). D went to a school in Illinois and his Dad often sends him artcles about the school and their athletics etc. Sandwiched in between all of the articles on his college, was an article about the ex's business and how it is not doing so well. Okay, so maybe I should let something like that go....but was it really necessary to send that? Some people would pass it off as no biggie...but it's a symbol to me...a symbol that she is still very much a thought in the family....maybe they may want her to still be a thought, but D and I do not certainly need to have her in our mailbox too......she's everywhere else! Enough is enough! These little things add up and just make it impossible for me to want to be close to them. In addition to these lapses in good judgment, they're also just awkward people. Strange people. And they smell terrible. For some reason after retirement old people stop showering. Well I get a headache when someone peels and orange, can you imagine how it was to smell that stench? UGH!

I do count my number one blessing...and that is D. He supports me 100%. He agrees with me....though he thinks I need to let a lot go... A few times his Mom made some unecessary comments and I of course, unable to let it go, challenged them. Even though I should not have done that, D defended me and agreed with me against his Mother. I am very lucky to have a man who stands behind me like this.

My Mom watched the dynamics and said that I am not giving her a chance. She said that his Mom is just flighty....and has no life....that she means well, she's just weird. I also think they have an issue with my role in the kids' lives. I think they react awkwardly to how much the kids love me and want to be with me. When the kids sit on my lap or want to be with me, they try to take them away or take their attentions off me. It doesn't work, but I can tell that's what they're doing.

I don't know. You all know how I feel about Bio-Mom. No matter how she is, Mother, former wife etc, she just doesn't deserve the special consideration....especially when she doesn't do right by her children. Yes she gave birth to them...but that's all she did. I do everything else.

I wish I could just have nothing to do with them. Thankfully, they only come out here twice a year. Or this marriage would be over! But I can't help but to wonder, if they only come out here twice, why would it be a big deal if I were to just decide to not have anything to do with them anymore? Maybe they just shouldn't stay here anymore....maybe D and the kids can just go out to his sister's and visit for a few days and I'll stay home. I would be much happier that way.

Anyway, at least it's not quiet anymore! :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES