SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_7

Very proud of my SD

Vivian Kaufman
15 years ago

Okay, I'm gonna brag. She's a great girl. So much of this forum is getting bogged down in negativity and personal agendas that I would like to share what a great experience I had with my 17-year-old SD last night.

At mom and stepdad's they've been having some financial problems. BIG ones. She's talked to me about her experiences with the situation and how it has been affecting her. Mom and stepdad put a lot on her. The other week mom made her go to the grocery store for the family AND SPEND HER OWN MONEY. Now, she's still in school and makes a little money, but not very much. It has been to pay for her gas and a few extras--plenty of job for a high school girl if you ask me. She's pretty good with her money, not exceptionally frivolous. She had some savings from this summer when she worked two jobs.

Anyway, she's quit taking the crap sandwich that those two people have given her. She's standing up for herself and for her two younger brothers. She would like to move to our house but has decided to stay until the school year is over to be there to take care of her brothers. (Mom and stepdad seem to be in some sort of alternate universe and barely notice that the kids are in the room, apparently...) She's even told mom and stepdad how to manage their money and that they needed to be more conservative with spending! I had to laugh when she told me. As sad as it is that mom and stepdad have been living above their means for so long, it is remarkable to me that this ultimately responsible, level-headed and realistic young lady has stepped up. I really respect her for the things that she has decided to do and for the way that she has stepped in to be there for her brothers while mom and stepdad have checked out.

Honestly, I think that she got her "Crap-O-Meter" from me. Mom, stepdad, and dad sure don't have any common sense. I most definitely enjoy seeing it coming out in her. She's so GROWN UP! Wow...

Comments (22)