SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orourke_gw

How can I tell where a wire is cut inside a wall?

orourke
16 years ago

I was wondering if there is some device, or some other method that will tell me where a wire is disconnected inside a wall.

Situation:

All the the outlets in 3 rooms of my house are all connected in series (a typical situation, I assume). Recently, the last two in the series stopped working.

I removed the receptacles and tested the wires directly. The hot hire (black) seems to have lost electrical continuity somewhere along a 10ft span of wall. The neutral (white) is ok.

Seems very hard to believe that a wire just failed inside a wall !!?

Now admitedly, it is not a straight wire, there is a blind (no access) junction box on a corner stud along this 10ft run (I know that because I put that junction box there myself when I remodeled the room 2 years ago). But still how could the connection inside the junction box fail?

In any case, as you can immagine, I would like to avvoid tearing up a whole 10ft section of wall; especially since the room was remodeled just 2 years ago and so I was wondering if there is a way to tell where the circuit is open so that I can perhaps only remove a small section of wall.

BTW, The problem occurred when I plugged a motor (roto rooter device) in the last outlet of the circuit 2 weeks ago.

Comments (18)