SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebigad

Weird Three-Way Switches. Help!

thebigad
10 years ago

We have two three-way switches (we think) at either end of our hallway. One of the switches is a dimmer switch. The other is not.
The switch at the entrance to the hallway, the dimmable one, will turn on the light. Then, we go to the end of the hall, and turn off the light with the other switch. If we go back to the entrance and flip the dimmable switch, it won't turn on the light again. Moreover, if after doing that step, we go back to the end of the hall and flip the other switch, it won't turn on the light again.
The only way we can control the light is to either turn it on or off from the entrance dimmable switch, or if we turn it off at the other end, then we have to turn it back on from that end.

Some additional details from opening up the switches:

The entry dimmer three-way switch: The black wire is hot. The red wire appears to have been inserted in the "common" hole.

The other non-dimmer is also a three way switch. But on this end, the white wire is hot. And the black wire was in the "common" hole.

So, I thought this was simple, and put flipped the red/black wires, so that the red wire would be in the "common" hole, like in the dimmer three-way switch. When I did that, however, nothing worked at all. So, I returned everything the way it was, and the lights work as before, but not properly as a three-way should.
What's going on? How can we fix it?

Comments (5)