SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesscorpio

I can't get along with my stepdad

jesscorpio
16 years ago

I doesn't matter how hard I try, I've never been able to get along with my stepdad. I think he never liked or respected me because I'm a girl. He has two sons and one daughter. He kicked his daughter out a couple years ago and won't let her come back. He always let the boys have more privileges and get away with more. I have one brother who he bonded with when he was younger, but my brother stopped getting along with him as he got older. My SD pressured him into football and things he didn't want to do. My little brother ended up moving out when he was seventeen. My oldest stepbrother joined the military when he was eighteen and left.

Now only my one stepbrother and I are living at home and he wants to kick us both out. I'm twenty-one and a full time college student. I'm working and paying my own way through school. I can't afford to live on my own. My SD wants to kick me out because he says I don't do enough around the house. I think he expects too much. I simply don't have the time to cook and clean all day. He gets mad when my mom does work around the house because he thinks I should be doing it.

I can't talk to him either because he gets mad and leaves or kicks me out for the night every time I bring it up. We can never talk things out, it always turns into yelling. I don't have support from my mom either. She backs him up on everything, even though she'll tell me that she doesn't always think he's handling things right.

The only reason I know he wants my stepbrother and I out is because my fiance told me. This is what infuriates me more than anything else. He refuses to talk to me about an issue he has with me. Instead, he will try to undermine me by complaining to my mom or my fiance about me. The other day he told my fiance that I am his responsibility, not my parents'. I don't know if he expects me to move in with my fiance's family. My fiance needs to help out his mom because she is going through some really hard times. He can't move out now. My fiance also told me that SD started to pry into his family's personal problems and he didn't like that. Then he went on to tell him about how he needs to pray and go to church (neither of us are very religious). My stepdad also said he isn't willing to come to our wedding that we plan on having in Hawaii (where my fiance is from and his whole family lives) only to the reception we plan on having here, even though we offered to pay their way!

I don't know how to talk to him. Part of me wants to fix things and have a good relationship with him because I know he's not ALL bad. Even though I don't always like his attitude or method, I know he is usually looking out for me in his own, weird way (or so my mom tells me). I don't know if I believe or not that he cares about me. Sometimes I feel like he might. Other times I think he just wants me out so he can have my mom all to himself and not deal with me. The other part of me wants to just push him away and resent him for the complete disrespect and abandonment I feel from him.

Also, I don't want kicked out. What can I possibly do???

Comments (4)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012