SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Rough Linen post continued

sis2two
9 years ago

Thought I would give an update on my first night using my Rough Linen bedding. I live in Virginia and wouldn't you know that the first night of using my summer bed cover only, the temperatures were in the 50's. So I literally froze I tell you! The other thing that I discovered is that I should have washed my flat sheet and bedcover to soften it a bit. For me, it was a little scratchy. Today I washed everything twice, and it feels much softer, yay! I have always had sensitive skin and I needed to get rid of the newness so to speak. Aside from that I do love the bedding!

Cyn- what do you think about the bedding?

Comments (54)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

You can certainly iron them. I don't know how hot you should put the iron on (I certainly don't iron them!) -- I think this would be a question for Tricia Rose.

By "pill" I mean I get little clumps, almost like scrapings, which come off completely. they look like little wads of toilet paper and end up on my carpet. The sheets themselves don't pill like sweaters, leaving an uneven, bumpy surface.

I don't mind it because I love the feel of the sheets so much. My Restoration Hdware sheets pilled like that worse than the Rough Linen, as you might expect.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 20:19

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thanks Violet. I hate the thought of pressing them and they are so wonderfully cozy. I just want to see if they get the crisp look that my linen blouses get after pressing. I guess that is ridiculous though because I love how the pillow slips feel. I noticed that they don't twist on my pillow like percale does so I don't wake up with crease marks on my face. I am so thankful to have them.

• Related Discussions

That was quick! Rough Linen here

Q

Comments (122)
    Suzie, I replied on the other thread. I think you will find that the linen does soften beautifully but you might like to press them at least the first couple fo times you use them. The pillowcases are quick to press and I remember reading something in another context about an initial pressing helping set the way the fibers will lay. Maybe it will help the fibers in your pilowcases lay smoother. But they will soften up.
    ...See More

Rough Linen alternatives?

Q

Comments (4)
    We were hesitant but like the flat sheets now -- but for those unwilling, most other makers make a fitted and don't make a flat sheet large enough to tuck under a medium to thick mattress. I think that earlier thread will give you several alternative names, as will a google search. I think Restoration Hardware was one in addition to Linoto and Cuddledown. Macy's even has linen sheets now.
    ...See More

Diamond in the Rough, or just Rough?

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks all, for chiming in. To be clear, I'm not thinking of buying this (or any other) house. I just thought it was interesting to consider the work vs. payoff and where one would spend the fixer upper money. I think it is priced high given the prices of homes in this neighborhood combined with the work it would need. At the end of any amount of sprucing up, it will still be a very taste-specific structure from the street view, and I'm not sure it can shine compared to some of the very traditionally pretty homes on the block, even if it is in tip top shape. There are several Isenhour homes in our neighborhood which have a "cuter" mid century look and are popular these days, like this one on Blueberry, which has much more light and positive energy to it: http://www.kymodern.com/tag/isenhour/page/5/ The way I see it, the location is the best thing about the house (RNmomof2, it's still a great neighborhood with fine schools). There have been a very few tear-downs, I think, but many more makeovers that have turned plain 3 bedroom ranches into larger Adirondack lodge-looking homes or other more "cozy" styles--and one that looks like a bank! I myself have always had kind of "fugly" houses--bad exterior design, bad additions tacked on by previous homeowners, and I'm committed to having a "cute" house next time even if I have to move "down" a neighborhood to make it affordable. So I'll leave this one for someone else and hope that I get to see the inside of it once someone has given it the love it deserves.
    ...See More

Rinse #1 - Rough Linen using LeBlanc Linen Wash

Q

Comments (19)
    Roc/Mama - I think it's the newness thing, for sure. They are super cool to the touch and I never get overheated. This is huge for me, especially since we sometimes (who am I kidding, ALWAYS) share our bed with a canine or feline or three. However, you can't quite call them "soft" yet, at least nothing like the vintage linen towels I have. And I think that can only come with more using and washing. K doesn't make the bed so he doesn't get to choose what goes on it. They're in the rotation and unless he wants to wash and iron percale himself, he'll be sleeping on them :)
    ...See More
  • violetwest
    9 years ago

"The sheets themselves don't pill like sweaters, leaving an uneven, bumpy surface."

I want to clarify that sentence to make sure it's clear that the sheets remain smooth. It's the sweaters that are uneven and bumpy!

Funny, I never liked linen shirts much -- too scratchy. But I love the "hand" of the sheets. They weight feels right, and the texture on the skin . . . I can't explain it; it's like it's soft and rough at the same time.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My bedding slept so much better last night after washing it and adding a blanket I might add.

I am thinking I will get the duvet as the weather gets colder. Do any of you have the duvet and if so, do you use it without a top sheet? I must admit that I am liking not having to contend with the top sheet.

• nutherokie_gw
    9 years ago

Sis2two,

Do you mind if I ask how you laundered your linen bedding?

After reading everyone's adoration of their rough linen sheets, I dragged mine out again. And again I love, love the size of the sheets (I have top and bottom), the design of the pillowslips, and the luxurious look of it all. But I can't say I love the texture. I've washed them several times by now (never had any pilling issues). I've dried them outdoors and in the dryer. I've ironed them and not. I'm trying to decide if a bit of fabric softener would be a sacrilege.

I'm getting ready to switch to a king-sized bed and love the idea of the huge oversized rough linen sheets -- if they were just a bit smoother. Maybe I could find a like-minded cadre to lobby Ms. Rose to develop a fabulous line of long-staple cotton sheets!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I am asking myself the same questions about doing the duvet and whether we would not use the top sheet. We always have, and the last couple of winters, we've hardly used the duvet. A top sheet and the down blanket give us the weight and warmth we need most of the time. I guess we will see if DH misses the summer cover. I may come to wish I'd done the complete bed makeover.

DH has ironed the pillow slips and not ironed them. This past weekend, he also ironed the sheet. I think he was bored after sending both boys off to college. I know I won't ever press the sheet. It probably makes more of a difference on the slips than the sheet and more for my smaller contoured pillow than his large king pillow.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Nutherokie, you posted while I was typing. We have washed ours and hung to dry (though we don't have a line and it's a challenge), tumbled dry and tumbled partially dry.
    To me, the sheet is smooth, but it's a crisp smooth. The Orkney cover is not as smooth, but you can getteh cover is the smooth fabric.

Trish does caution not to overdry and I think my pinafore got stiff that way when in a load of general clothing. It recovers with wear and/or the next washing. She says you can spray it with a bit of water too.

She also cautions to use a gentle detergent and never to use Tide. You might try a different laundry soap -- or even running them through the washer without any soap. I always do a second rinse on my laundry -- that might help.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I launder mine with extra water and rinse, and use a mile detergent (Mrs. Meyers basil, by preference). I dry on low heat; or actually using my dryer's "energy saver" setting, which I love. No problems at all.

I use the top sheet, and my old down comforter, with a cover (want to avoid the confusion about what a "duvet" is). I also sleep on a wool mattress pad, which I love. I'd love to buy a linen comforter cover from RL, but don't need it as much as I do other things. I bought a linen comforter cover from RH, but don't use it because it's of a heavier linen and it's just too heavy.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have been using my summer cover as the top sheet with nothing else on top of it. This winter I may still use it as a topper. I always sleep hot so my coverlet does fine even when it gets bitterly cold. Even then I often kick it off.

I launder in Mrs. Meyers Lavender thanks to Cyn. I dry on extra low but I so want to line dry. I am going to coax hubby into a line strung between trees. If the birds bombard it I will give up on line drying.

Sis, I am so glad that you slept more comfortably last evening.

I am definitely on my way to the dream bed. The mattress pad that I purchased from the Company Store added a level of comfort as it doesn't crease like the other pad. I still am contemplating the wool mattress pad.

• nutherokie_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks Lascatx and Violet.West!

I've been using the LeBlanc liquid recommended on the Rough Linen site, so I don't think it's a detergent issue. And when I dry indoors I only dry to the damp stage. I suppose I've become the persnickety pea-picking princess in spite of myself! I'll try the extra rinses (if I can figure out how), and I'll be extra careful when I finally launder my pinafore.

Violet, do you have the wool fleece matress pad? I've been ogling one for years. Maybe with the new bed.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nutherokie- I laundered mine twice with the cold water wash and Mrs. Meyers lavender laundry detergent, purchased at Target. I dried them halfway through on medium heat and then changed to low until they were dry but tried not to over dry them. Like Hollykay, we live in the woods but plan to run a retractable clothesline between two trees.
    What is interesting is that I was on the web and found that several people including a linen business saying that the best way to soften linen bedding is to wash in hot water as this does something to the fibers. The only thing I would worry about would be shrinkage, but the RL does not seem to have shrunk very much if at all. I did wash mine on a long wash cycle and added an extra rinse cycle. I really believe the more you can wash it, the softer it's going to get. Hope this helps!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I wash mine in cold water. I would think line drying would make it stiff.

Yes, I have the wool fleece mattress pad, and have slept on one for years. Sooo worth it!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Violet, is the wool topper too hot in the summer? My body must be like an oven. I am always whining about it being too hot but DH says it's fine. I am looking for a retro table fan because bedroom ceiling fan isn't working and I want to replace it with a light.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

The wool topper isn't too hot, but I am. The wool (covered by the sheet, of course) actually helps. But I do sleep with fans --

FANS ON THE FACE, ladies! and air conditioning, of course.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Violet, I spent a good bit of time trying to find a vintage style table fan. I saw a beautiful Vornado model called the Silver Swan but wouldn't you know I can't find one. Amazon says they are not available and don't know if they will be. I found another one but it gets mixed reviews as in love/hate. It is so frustrating. I want it to not be terribly ugly and I am fond of the vintage style as they remind me of what we had growing up. Air conditioning is not enough after a certain age!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hollykay- not sure if I'm remembering correctly but don't you have a Tempurpedic mattress? I have a Tempurpedic and we were told not to use any type of mattress topper. Tempurpedic has a cover which supposedly lets the mattress breathe. The brand new Tempurpedics come with one but older ones don't. When we purchased our mattress we purchased on that was supposed to be a cheaper version of the Tempurpedic one but it was horrible! Stretched out and creased badly under the sheet. Anyway just wanted to let you know in case you weren't aware of this.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sis, yes I do have a Tempur-Pedic, but Sleepy's said that in order to warranty the mattress it needed to be covered with a pad that they sold. Like the one you purchased it was expensive but thin and cheaply made and bunches terribly. I love my mattress but that pad took away from the AAAAAH experience that it should be. Did you take the thin mattress pad off? I can't imagine not having a pad on the bed. I get so overheated that I would think I would soak the mattress without protection.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay: I have found it's not worth it to spend a lot on fancy fans--the small motors in fans do not last more than a year or two. They're not pretty, but they are essential for me.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually took that horrible pad off about 2weeks ago and was all set to order the Temperpedic one but the reviews are horrible! If you find something that works well, please let me know. I hate not having a cover but I actually find my mattress cooler without the cover I had.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sis, the one I just bought gave me a great night's sleep. No creases at all. The top is all cotton but the fill is poly so that may not work for you.

I read in the reviews, on the company store site, people saying it made their memory foam bearable. My mattress doesn't make me sleep hotter because I always sleep hot no matter what but getting rid of that nasty pad that Sleepy's sold me made my sleep better than ever.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can you tell me with pad you purchased?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sis, I bought the TCS Cool Max. The queen size was only $99 plus 14 or 15 shipping. Read the reviews on their web site.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I have not liked going without one so I'm going to order it tonight. Oh the price of a good night sleep,lol!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Wow, being back at school is really interfering with my keeping up here!

I plan to iron my pillow slips for sure. Linen can be ironed on the highest setting when it is damp-I have linen fingertip towels in the powder room. I imagine it is fine to launder hot, but I do all my laundry in cold. Linen is really quite tough. It will definitely soften over time, too.

I plan to wash mine on Sunday with my Mrs. Meyer's lavender soap. Love that stuff and only have enough left for one load. Need to get more! So glad you like it, Holly-Kay. Sounds as though Sleepy's has quite a racket going. Never heard of having to buy a particular mattress pad in order for a warranty to be valid! Sheesh.

Sleep well everyone! :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sis, I hope you like it as much as I do.The reviews that I read are all right on target with my experience. Honestly I am getting to the point that I don't want to get out of bed.

Cyn, I want to try ironing them as I love a crisp sheet and pillow case but there is no way I am going to iron the sheets. I like the big flat sheets so much. No more fighting those darn fitted sheets.

I love my mattress but I won't purchase again from Sleepy's unless I can't find what I am looking for elsewhere. At my age this could be the last mattress I will need.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Violet, do you recall what brand fan you purchased? I remember Vornado from long ago. I also think Oster made fans.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I have bought many fans by many brands over the years. As far as I can tell, no brand is better than any other.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Violet, I ordered a Vornado small room air circulating fan today from Amazon. I promised myself before going to bed that if I had another night of feeling uncomfortable I was buying one even though it is the end of the season. I kept fanning myself so I knew it was time to order. It was only $30 so if it bites the dust in a few months no biggie. I hope with fall and winter coming on I won't need the fan much until next summer.

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

Sent for my Rough Linen samples last Friday and they arrived today, all the way to Canada - wow!

Love the color and texture of the Orkney Natural and the St Barts blue is simply beautiful.

Question ...... the Strong White Linen feels just a tad smoother and less crisp than the Smooth Natural - is it just my imagination?

I sense a retirement gift for moi from moi soon :)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

wouldn't "smoother" mean . . . more crisp? I guess I don't know what the heck "crisp" means. (confused)

except potato chips in the UK.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Strong White is smoother where the Orkney has a more "nubby" texture to it. I like that the bed sheets are made from the smooth material as I think the Orkney would be too rough to sleep on comfortably. I have the Orkney white summer cover and I like it too. It has a more homespun appearance to it.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love the smooth sheets too Sis, I agree that a nubbier texture may not be great for sheets.

Dawn I think the slight difference in texture is because the natural is un-dyed so less processing. I hope you love your new linens.

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

lol Violet, not quite as crisp as potato chips :)

I only have the small samples, so maybe it's just my imagination. The Strong White Linen just seems to "fold/bend/crumple" a bit easier than the Smooth Natural Linen, and it seems a bit smoother to the skin. Probably after laundering, they are both the same....

I do love the feel of them all, though!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Dawn, I ordered a couple of larger samples before deciding. The St. Bart's Blue is beautiful but doesn't go with the blue in our room. I put smooth white sheets and the natural Orkney in my cart, but somehow the order got twisted and went in as all natural. I get to see the natural sheet folded and handle it a few times. I do think the feel is just slightly "more natural" but I wouldn't call it less smooth. I do think the weave is the same, but the fibers have been processed less. I suspect, as you do, that any difference would even out after a few washings.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

So, who's going to be the first to order the new linen towels?

• denali2007
    9 years ago

I was just coming to post that

Here is a link that might be useful: Rough Linen bath towel

• denali2007
    9 years ago

In case anyone is interested in a snug fleece wool mattress pad they are having a 20 off sale through labor day. The code is Labor14

Here is a link that might be useful: snug fleece mattress

This post was edited by denali_2007 on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 20:44

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Denali, I have to confess that after getting my RL email re the bath towels I will have to bite.

I have needed new bath towels for months now. I bought some lusciously thick towels and had them monogramed for my grandsons to use when they visit. The other day I was out of clean towels and I used one of the boy's towels and they were horrible at drying. They felt great against my skin but it took forever to dry off so I knew I wasn't ordering those. I figured a thinner towel would work better. Then I opened my email and saw the new bath towel line. What really got my attention was the line about them not getting a musty smell. I will only order one to make sure I like it but honestly it has to be better than the towels I ordered from Frontgate.

If you order before me let me know what you think!

• denali2007
    9 years ago

Holly

You go first! I love the black one.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Denali, I love the black too but it would look icky in my bathroom until I remodel so I will stick with white. I want to get some more pillow slips and napkins before I order towels though, so maybe some one else can be the guinea pig?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, I got that email, too! I am sure I will get a couple. I have been so happy with the sheets and the tablecloth with the runner looked wonderful for my neighborhood party. Let's see...still to order...towels, pinafore, more sheets...Wonder if Trish will ever make a linen suit like that amazing white one Ingrid Bergman wore in "Casablanca"...not that I would have a crew to make sure I had no wrinkles and not that I would be able to carry it off in quite the same way-ha-obviously...golly, I have always loved linen and feel thoroughly indulged now!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't get an email about the towels. I imagine they would be nice though. Definitely want to get another set of sheets and pillow slips before purchasing towels. I hate to keep washing the same set over and over! Afraid I'll wear them out, lol! The good thing is that they do get softer which I am loving.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sis, I have two sheets and only one summer cover. I think I will use the summer cover in lieu of a top sheet and will only launder it every other change of linens.

I need another set of pillow slips, shams, and napkins then I want the bath and hand towels.

Geesh GW members will keep Tricia busy!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I am definitely going to order the bath mat, too. I think I will enjoy the look of it as much as the feel. I have a terry one now, but this one would be nice. I would like to get a couple king size pillow slips just because I like having the extra fabric to completely cover the ends of the pillows. Will probably get the apron instead of the pinafore. I need to spread out my purchases, though. Oh, and I definitely need the bed skirt for the downstairs guest room! Jeepers, I could go on and on.

Oh and I washed the sheet, summer cover, and pillow slips today. I put the sheet on the bed to dry and stretched and smoothed it. No need for ironing! It looks wonderfully smooth. I did iron the pillow slips. Looks so nice! The summer cover is rinsing now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Uhoh. I discovered a spot near one of the side hems on the summer cover that looks like it could turn into a hole soon. It looks like an imperfection in the weave and is already almost a hole about 3/4 of an inch long. I tried to get a photo, but it doesn't show enough. I will need to use a real camera rather than my iPad. Do you think I should let Trish know? I would hate to end up with a hole after only a couple of washings in a gentle front loading washing machine.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I would let her know and I'm sure she''ll stand behind it.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cyn- I'd let her know too. I feel sure she would replace it. Makes me think I need to check mine.

holly- I have decided to wash the summer cover every other week rather than weekly with my sheets. I had my dh hang up a retractable clothesline between two trees today. Once it was up, it occurred to me that he hung the line where I could reach it at 5'2". Now I'm thinking my king sheet and summer cover will be dragging the ground. Not sure how that's going to work out. I can't wait to see the bath things by RL. Will see if it's on her website since I didn't get an email.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Cyn, definitely let her know. She wouldn't want something going out that is defective, I'm sure. I know if it were my company and my reputation I would want to know about it.

Sis, let me know how line drying goes. I want DH to do that for me too but it will be a few weeks until he gets around to it because he has some trips coming up.

Cyn, aren't you concerned that the damp sheet will make your mattress pad damp? I love the idea of smoothing it out and letting it dry flat. Did you dry it slightly in the dryer first?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Holly, no, I didn't dry it at all. My washer spins at 1200rpm, so things come out barely damp. I will find out in an hour or so if the mattress pad ended up damp, I guess. ;). Will let you know.

• Linderhof1208
    9 years ago

Sis2two -- because of this post, I ordered the piney -- I absolutely ADORE it -- it came today and I will be wearing it every day! Love the feel of the linen and it keeps stuff off my regular clothes and I got the natural which is perfect with the jeans and solid color ts and turtlenecks and blouses that I normally wear. I can keep the phone in my pocket so it's always handy and I can wear it inside and out. If it wasn't for your sheet post, I would have never went there so I owe you a big thank you for finding something that I have been looking for but had no success on my own!

THANKS!

Martha