SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_east_gw

Butcherblock with Marble Inset Question--need advice!

nancy_east
15 years ago

Hello all,

I'm a "regular" on the Kitchens forum but I have a question that would probably be better suited to this forum and was hoping to find some good advice on a dilemma.

DH and I are in the final stages of having a home built for us and we've unfortunately hired a complete idiot for our countertops (he came highly recommended but he's just not living up to that reputation for countless reasons with our countertops). Anyway, part of our kitchen involves a 38" x 66" maple butcherblock on the top of our island with a 24" x 24" marble inset within the wood (I'm a huge baker and wanted a piece of marble somewhere for baking purposes). So countertop guy brings the butcherblock on Thursday and says because of all the humidity we're having with rain, it's very bowed but it will resolve itself. Well, our GC walked in after this conversation, took one quick look at it, and said it was completely unacceptable. He saw an area of about 4-5 boards where the grain was running in the same direction. There was an ugly exchange of words between GC and countertop guy and then countertop guy called the John Boos company where the wood came from. They agreed with our GC that the wood was unacceptable and they are sending a new butcherblock.

So my fear (among many things) with my poor choice of countertop people, is that this guy doesn't really know what he's doing with any substrate. He had routed out the area where the marble was going to go in the maple but he had yet to install it because of the bow in the wood. But now I'm concerned that he'll botch that up with the new piece and we'll be back at square one again. Is it unreasonable to want a 24" square of marble inset into a piece of maple and is this something that I should worry about someone who has shown complete lack of skill in multiple areas doing, or is that a pretty straight forward procedure? The marble will be permanently fixed in place in the wood. This guy has also now admitted that he has never worked with marble before which made complete sense when he came close to completely destroying our marble vanity top in a bathroom. Ugh.

Any advice is most appreciated!

Comments (9)