SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasonmolinari

Sound performance of windows - choices

10 years ago

I've been reading a bit here, and i'm hoping i can get some advice/thoughts. In reading it sounds like the poster Oberon seems to have good knowledge of window performance as it pertains to sound.

Recently moved into a house built in 1994. Wood windows are single glaze, and seemingly very thin glass.

There is a highway about 0.3 miles away, and a low frequency rumble is audible i assume when trucks go by.

We've been thinking about replacing the windows with new ones both for energy efficiency and sound level improvement (and eventual reduced maintenance).

Initially the thought was to go with a vinyl replacement window with laminated glass. Then we saw the Marvin infinity windows and preferred the look of the fiberglass over vinly as it didn't have that shine to it. Vinyl windows (the ones we looked at) suffer from a cheap appearance unfortunately.

The home a higher end home, so i don't want to install something that will be out of place with the neighborhood, and from the vinyl windows we've seen (Simonton and Vytex) the fiberglass SEEMS to appear higher end (may or may not be true, or may be b/c i'm looking at the wrong vinyl windows)
While wood interior and clad exterior might be nice to have, the fiberglass marvin is really the top of the budget already, and i imagine it would go up from there.

PROBLEM is the Marvin infinity windows don't offer laminated glass option. They have an SPC glass option that offers dissimilar pane thickness. The STC is rated at 31 and the OITC 27.

Now come my questions:

1) I researched and researched, but i could not find the STC/OITC values of an older single glazed window. Anyone know the approximate values? ( i realized it depends on size and many factors)

2) The bedroom currently has some external storm windows which must have been installed for noise isolation. They don't seem particularly fitted or tight in the frame on the outside of the window, but i'm sure they are providing some benefit.
The marvin rep is very confidenct that the STC replacement window will be better than the single pane + storm window, but i've read some papers that state sometimes that isn't the case. I would be very upset if i paid a boatload of money and ended up with a noisier bedroom.

I'm in Atlanta, GA. What are some other reputable, high quality windows which may offer laminated glass? We looked at the Pella fiberglass and it doesn't look great (and if i remember they don't offer laminated glass)

Anyone have any advice, thoughts?

Comments (8)